From:
Karina Allrich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karina Allrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 2009 11:39:30 -0700

Response from the list:

I like your description of copyright, wanted to add to it.  There are other
requirements also.  That is to say one's original work, as you say, must
show the  © sign, but it also must include the year and the persons name.
The terms "all rights reserved" is actually optional, so long as the name,
year and copyright symbol are present.

Enforcement is another matter, particularly if the item is shared without
profit.  The copyright simply means you reserve your rights to sue, should
someone impinge on your work, for profit.  Usually, if asked, most will
allow someone to use it, provided proper credit is due and the motive is not
for profit.

I am not an expert in copyright, and there maybe other nuances that I have
not discussed here.  However,
I am an attorney (now retired) and recall doing a research project on the
topic.  Hope this helps.

Thanks for making your contribution.  Its all good.  :-)

----

I think you misstate the law in your first paragraph.  It's not the
individual recipe that's covered if it's in larger work, only the larger
work itself.  In other words someone can't reproduce your entire work and
claim it as their own, but can reproduce a recipe that appears therein.
The general rule is that recipes are not copyrightable. Please clarify on
the forum.

----

And from me:

One last thought--- the point of view that I shared (in the original e-mail
responding to the question about copyright) encompasses not only the legal
aspect, but the social etiquette aspect- being a member of the greater food
blogging and gluten-free community, and what is acceptable in practice and
what offends.

While it may be "legal" in strict terms to copy a list of ingredients (the
bare bones recipe list) and then post them on your blog or forum without
credit to the original recipe developer, it is not good form. If a recipe
developer shares their hard work with the community, why not do the right
thing and give them credit and link love? If we truly are in this to support
one another, why not be generous enough to post credit where credit is due?

Thanks, everyone!

recipes::

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com

*******