C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sarita_Behm_ATT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2009 10:17:05 -0500
I chose to home school Davy for his first and second grade because I feel
that no one cares more about his education than I do and I have more freedom
to concentrate in the area's he need's more help with such as reading and do
less work in the area's he is brilliant in such as math. I can adjust to his
need's more easily than a school teacher. I am only choosing 1st and 2nd
grade because I feel these are the basic start for  good building blocks,
the foundation so to speak of learning. Once I have pushed for the most my
child can do then the teacher's won't have to work so hard to bring him up
to the rest of the class. I know Davy has some dyslexia and they don't
usually test for that till the end of 2nd grade, that is were he will need
the most help in the future. We are very lucky living in Leander, Tx. They
seem very eager to help Davy and have been begging me to send him to school!
My 14 year old Joey is very dyslexic and they have down wonder's with him!
Non the less, I am very pleased with the progress Davy has made with me and
I know he is farther along then he would have been had I not home schooled.
I used the Abeka video program, that way I did not have to teach all the
subjects but I could stop the video and give extra help when ever necessary.
It teaches very repetitively which is how Davy learns best. He does need
extra time to process things so I always give extra time on timed things. It
is very through  in phonics but Davy does better at sight reading. I feel he
should still go through the phonic in the lowest reading circle but for
extra reading and on breaks I have him read old public school reading books
which are more geared for sight reading such as the old "Dick and Jane"
books.
I hope this helps some, good luck!
Sarita, mother of Davy 8 rh/dyslexic and Joey 14 Dyslexic