From:
Sharon Guterman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sharon Guterman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 2009 14:18:00 -0400

Well we made our trip.  We carried translation cards for both countries, but
the most useful item we had was a list of the terms gluten free, wheat, malt,
barley, rye.  More than once I took out my sheet when we had mispronounce
gluten free in Italian.

An example of the help was when I asked for GF beer in a hotel and was given
a beer which stated Malto (Malt).  The waiter insisted it contained no alcohol
my list finally  set him straight.

Now to eating, I had no trouble getting GF food in both Warsaw and Rome,
Florence and Venice.  The tour (Trafalgar) guide called ahead and insured that
the place would have GF pasta.

My biggest problem was in finding GF gelato.  Most places told me it was not
GF.  In Florence there was one place that made their own gelato which was
GF.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Sharon G