From:
Kerri Wolfe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kerri Wolfe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 2009 10:46:14 -0400

I received so many responses to my cold cut inquiry - thank you to all who
took the time to write.  I will include some of the comments below, but
overall, the two suggestions I received over and over were either to 1) buy
pre-packaged cold cuts that are gluten free or 2) have them wipe the machine
down before cutting my cold cuts or call ahead and have them cut first thing
in the morning.

Here is a sampling of responses (I tried to omit some of the repetitive
ones):
Anyone who sells Boars Head products must agree to clean the slicer before
slicing any order if the customer requests it.  I was told that if they
refuse, Boars Head will pull their products.  We buy Boars Head all of the
time and just ask to have the slicer cleaned first.  It takes a bit longer,
but we are safe!
Boar’s head is indeed gluten free.  In fact, many other cold cuts also are,
even the cheaper brands.  However, when they slice it in the deli counter,
you could get cross contaminated from the slicing machine.  This is what I
do:  in a very nice and unassuming way (sugar gets more flies than vinegar),
I tell the attendant that I have severe allergies to wheat and milk, and to
please clean the machine for me. They have to clean the machine several
times a day anyway, and I don’t mean just wiping the blade down.  My grocer
does a fantastic job, usually takes a few minutes, but they do it with a
smile for the most part.  I place my order, and then I go down nearby
islands to finish my shopping so I’m not watching them like a hawk because
they know how to clean the machine, believe me.  Severe allergies get their
attention, not the words allergic to gluten. Then I never ever have them
slice less than a pound of whatever it is I want.  I usually have them do
several different types of cold cuts for me, and then I freeze them.  They
can wrap them in ¼ lbs bags, ½, or whatever size you want, even just a
couple of slices of something, but the thing is the amount you are
buying.  Most
grocery stores already have a separate slicer for meats and another for
cheeses.  Cold cuts freeze very well, you won’t know the difference once you
defrost them.  When you get home, additionally place them in clear plastic
freezer bags pressing the air out as much as possible.
I always insist that they clean the slicer before preparing my GF cold cuts
& cheeses.  I just tell them I am allergic and that it's very important and
they are always nice about it.  Also: Remind them to put on fresh gloves to
avoid cross contamination.
You can go when they're not real busy and ask them to clean one. I used to
do this at a Kroger and they were glad to do so.
Also, the reality is that very, very few cold cuts have gluten. I can't even
name one that does have gluten offhand.
Hello, I actual own an Italian deli, and we get customers who ask for the
gluten free boars head. And we dedicate one slicer to gluten free only. You
have to be careful, because some people don’t really understand what you are
saying because it doesn’t effect them. They would just yes you to death.
www.bestlittleitaly.com- Monroe N,Y
In general, I have not encountered problems with packaged lunchmeat or cut
cheese, but I almost always have problems with things from the Deli.  Even
if they use a recently cleaned machine, it doesn't seem to make a
difference.  I don't know if it's the Deli, the outsides of the bulk items,
or the cutter, but I've decided to stick to prepackaged stuff.  The Deli in
my grocery store also bakes their own breads and so forth, so I also wonder
if it is a local contamination issue.

I have been using Boars Head for over a year and watched closely that gloves
are changed when a clerk comes over from the area where sandwiches are made.
I trusted that the wiping of the slicer with an orange cloth was well
thought out. Over that period I was feeling terrible and finally broke out
on my leg with what appeared to be a DH rash. Since I am scrupulous
about what I put in my mouth it was hard for this to sink in but one day I
saw something that made me aware of the fact that no matter what I asked
them to watch there were people doing otherwise all day when I was not
there.  It happened that my cell rang as I completed voicing my order and as
I answered I watched the clerk slice my meat with the elasticized cloth
gloves she had been wearing where the sandwiches were being made. I reminded
her that now the GF meat was completely contaminated and she got new plastic
gloves and cut a new pound of meat.

I have bought no more meat from the deli  for my family and the rash was
treated and has not returned. I am 73 and I had never had such a rash
before. I have not yet regained all the weight lost but I have gotten my
appetite back and I am not exhausted all the time. It would seem to me that
when Boars Head put their GF products into a store the personnel would be
educated. I continue to use the packaged products such as hotdogs, bacon and
ham as well as cheese. I no longer spend $50 on deli meat every week to 10
days. ..........Be careful!