From:
Sarah LeTard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sarah LeTard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2008 08:21:14 -0800

I didn't get to go to Flagstaff this weekend, due to a family emergency, but...  (don't tell my daughter this, she is very very dissapointed) it is raining/snowing there, and looks to be dreary all weekend.  So yeah!  But it looks like we will plan another trip in the spring.

I was mining for ideas of places to eat or lesser-known fun things to do.  Thanks for many awesome responses!  Report:

ABOUT 5 people specifically recommended Picazzos.  (www.picazzos.com)

Try Sunset Crater (inactive volcano with an ice cave). Also there are indian ruins nearby (your hotel can direct you).

In Williams, Az try Rod's Steak House, an old Route 66 steakhouse. The current owner will listen and help you obtain GF steak. Wiliams is west of Flagstaff on I-40 and is one of the "gateways" to the Grand Canyon.

We went to a really neat museum in Flagstaff...don't remember the name but it had history of the area, etc. We didn't eat in Flagstaff so no suggestions for food. We did stay at the south rim Grand Canyon for a few days. We ate at several restaurants there connected with hotels (e.g., Holiday Inn I think) as well as the restaurant in a lodge in the park itself. I don't remember specific names but all were accommodating. Sorry!

Downtown Flag is small and eminently walkable.  If you don't mind food made in a facility where wheat is used,Macy's Coffeehouse,

My daughter went to college in Flagstaff and I found the best Gf pizza there, at a place called Picazzo's.  They aren't totally gf but have lots of gf choices. We've eaten there lots of times with no problems.  There is also a great natural foods store down the street from Picazzo's that carries lots of GF food. Sorry I can't remember the name. But the locals should know it. There is also an Outback in Flagstaff.

We were there in June and had a good lunch in a restaurant called Mountain ... something or other in the old section of town.  They were extremely knowledgeable about the g.f. diet.  There is also a Pizallo's pizza place where they have g.f. pizza, in or near the shopping center.  We ate at the Pizallo's in Sedona and it was wonderful - couldn't believe the size of the gluten free menu!

Sarah Le Tard
find, and ye shall seek