From:
Ellie Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ellie Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2008 20:34:29 -0400

We are staying at the Cheyenne Canyon Inn.  The owner's is celiac so I
hope to be fine! Other Colorado responses - mostly Colorado Springs area.
Ellie
-------------------

  I would check www.glutenfreetravelsite.com before you go
  Here is some good websites:
    http://www.bouldercountyceliacs.com/7.html
    http://www.geocities.com/csadenver17/dining.html
  We loved Beau Jo's GF pizza.

---------------------

  Colorado Springs is the home of Outside the Breadbox gf bakery.  Great
bread and bagels.

---------------------

  I recently visited Colorado Springs for several days and had requested
information  on places to eat.  There were so many requests for the replies
that I decided to post to the group.  These three were all recommended by a
local resident.
 * Primitivo-  28 S. Tejon, 719 473-4900, www.primitivo.com A  sophisticated
place in downtown Colorado Springs.   We made reservations with Mike, who
assured us the gluten intolerance could be handled.    We enjoyed the Tasting
Menu featuring the wines of Italy. It was a 5 course menu, and needed only 2
moderations to accommodate me.  Leaving off croutons, and eliminating the
almond cookie that came with the panna cotta. They change the featured
menu once a month, so call to see what is being served when you go.
  * The next night we went to the Cliff House, 306 Canon Ave, Manitou
Springs 719 685-3000 or 888 212-7000 www.THECLIFFHOUSE.COM  and
enjoyed their 3 course Early Dining special for only $20.00.  Chef Rob offered
me a substitute dessert which suited me fine.  The Veal Tenderloin was great,
and served with roasted eggplant ratatouille, none of which had to be modified.
  * The last evening we went to Gertrude’s,  2625 W. Colorado, in Colorado
City, 719 471-0887, which says on the menu that they serve rice pasta on
request.  Their menu was the most limited I came across because many of
the dishes with the full dinner had soy sauce in the marinade.  They are
known for a flourless chocolate cake, which was very good, but they will not
disclose the ingredients, so if you have multiple sensitivities, you might
beware.  I ordered it, since I felt the chef  had enough understanding of
gluten intolerance to understand the hidden sources.  I  had no problems after
eating it.

  Otherwise we ate breakfast and lunch at the Broadmoor, where  we were
staying. They couldn’t have been more attentive.  Their computer screen had
me pegged and the person seating us would ask if I were the Mrs Barfield with
the dietary restriction.  The Broadmoor is renovating in many areas, so some
restaurants were not available.  The breakfast buffet was really nice and I
took my bread with me for them to toast on a clean pan.  I watched the
omelet being cooked and there was nothing glutenous looking within reach,
and I  had no problems.  If you are ever wanting a nice breakfast buffet in
Colorado Springs (for ($14.00), this is the place to go.

Other places recommended but not enough time to try, were:
  * La Caretta, a small Mexican restaurant, very knowledgeable and with
delicious food.  Even their margaritas are okay.  Located at Iowa and Kiowa.
  * Jun Sushi in the northern part of town.  Local resident takes her own
tamari.
  * Petite Maison, French, on Colorado Avenue.  Lovely.
  * Mona Lisa   A fondue restaurant outside Colorado Springs.  The person
posting this information said they called ahead, and the chef prepared a
special cheese fondue so it would be GF.  Same for the chocolate fondue for
dessert.
  * Outback Steakhouse was recommended by a new local celiac, who has not
eaten out since being diagnosed.

------------------------

  I was recently in Salida CO and ate at Amica's Pizza.  They have a link here:
    http://amicassalida.com/
  They also serve GF beer (Redbridge).  The owner usually takes orders.  She
started a new rule when I ate there that they won't cut the pizza in the back
to avoid cross contamination issues.  It was a nice treat!

------------------------------

  Colorado is one of the best places to be GF. A mainstream grocery
store, King Soopers, has committed to providing for their GF customers.
They have many of the Amy's frozen foods, Pamela's mixes and
cookies...best of all a local baker has teamed up with them and has a
gluten free line in the freezer case. Look for Udi's(or ask someone).
They have bread, cookies, cinnamon rolls and muffins!!! They mark things
on the aisles they know to be GF with a little tag with GF on it. In a
regular grocery store, who'd have guessed?
  In addition the local health food/organic stores, Whole Foods and
Vitamin Cottage have extensive GF food selections. Vitamin Cottage
carries baked goods from 2 local GF bakeries, Outside the Breadbox and
Deby's. Outside the Breadbox has a new line of breads that actually make
terrific sandwiches...we like the Teff variety.
  If you happen to be overnighting in Denver check out Abrusci's. It's an
Italian restaurant with a great GF menu...pizza, sandwiches, pasta even
GF beer to accompany it. They do lunch, dinner and take-out and have a
web site.

*******
*******