From:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:59:51 -0700

Thanks for all the wonderful replies and support!  I can't say how great this List is and how comforting it is to be able to communicate this way.  It makes traveling the unknown so much easier.  I summarized in two parts.  Summary #1:

  Take crackers and buy fruit and cheese when you get off the ship.  Many places are very accommodating.  In italy there is a high percent of people with celiac disease and there are lots of rice pastas.  On ships I found breakfast harder so I always carry cereal.
  Have fun.  It is not as hard as you may think.
  *****
  Recently went on a cruise for the 1st time. Let them
know that i was
gluten intolerant and had mostly good food. Got caught
once with soup
that had been obviously contaminated.

My major concern after touring the galley was how they
could separate my
food from the rest. The galley had to cater for up to
1000 persons per meal.
*****
  There's two items I know you can eat in Spain---paella
and tortilla--both
delicious, and are very common dishes for Spain.
  You're probably familiar
w/paella (rice w/saffron, seafood, peas, tomatoes),
the tortilla is served
in the tapa bars (appetizers), it is made w/potatoes
and eggs and cooked in
a skillet, and sliced, usually served cold I think.
  It is not a tortilla
like we eat w/Mexican food.  The longestinos
(sp?)(shrimp) are great, the
outdoor café often serve them in a bucket, you shell
them, umm, wonderful.
The peppers fried in olive oil, oh so good.  The
salads served w/tuna are
really good, lots of olives on the tables also. I had
the best salmon ever
in Spain.  We lived there for a year--before I was
diagnosed.  You won't
have a problem eating.  The hot chocolate is to die
for.  Enjoy.
  *****
  If you stick with grilled meat, potatoes and
vegetables without sauces, you
should be fine.  Of course some places you shouldn't
eat raw vegetables
(unrelated to CD). Similarly, wash all fruits or eat
only fruits that you
can peel, such as bananas. Enjoy your trip!
  *****