From:
Tricia Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tricia Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:05:03 -0500

Hi Everyone,

Years ago, when I first started researching the nutritional adequacy of the gluten-free diet, I contacted the FDA regarding the lack of enrichment of refined gluten-free grain foods. Their response in part read as follows, "For us to consider establishing enrichment requirements for gluten-free foods, sound scientific data would have to be presented to the Agency demonstrating that persons consuming gluten-free foods would develop various nutrient deficiencies without appropriate enrichment of these foods."

As many of you know most refined wheat-based flours, breads, and pasta are voluntarily enriched with B-vitamins and iron and most mainstream breakfast cereals are fortified with a wide variety of vitamins and minerals. Unfortunately, most refined gluten-free flours, breads, pastas, and breakfast cereals are not enriched/fortified. The good news is that an increasing number of manufacturers of gluten-free foods are enriching/fortifying their products. Also there are a number of gluten-free whole grains that naturally contain these nutrients.

In 2005, my colleagues and I published an article entitled, "Gluten-free diet survey: are Americans with coeliac disease consuming recommended amounts of fibre, iron, calcium, and grain foods" (J Hum Nutr Dietet. 2005;18:163-169). The abstract from this article is available through my website (www.glutenfreedietitian.com) on the newsletter page under the heading scientific articles.

Tricia Thompson, MS, RD
The Gluten-Free Dietitian
Nutrition Consultant Celiac Disease
348 Summer Street