Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2008 18:07:07 -0400

This is what I received.  Thank you everyone for sharing

If you cook wheat flour pizzas or anything else directly on the oven racks, I
would clean the racks before you put any gluten free items directly on there.
The only thing that I cook directly on my oven racks are baked potatoes, so I
don't bother cleaning the oven or racks  between cooking gluten free and non-
gluten free foods.

I never scrub the oven after my husband bakes. I just found out he defrosts
his regular bagel in a paper towel in the microwave...on the glass of the
microwave, and that's how I make my baked potatoes. He just agreed to use a
plate under his bagel. I wouldn't bake gluten in the oven at the same time as
gluten-free. I'm not a paranoid case, but I just don't like the circulating steam
in the oven at the same time. You can always go over the oven with a
sponge, if that makes you feel better.

In the 25 years that I have had celiac I have always cooked gluten free and
foods containing gluten in my oven.  As long as the food is not spilling out
onto your gluten free food you will be fine.
If something splatters in the microwave of theirs, make sure you wipe it out so
the crumbs don't fall into your food, but I usually wipe the microwave out after
using it everytime anyway.  The big oven is not a problem.
Absolutely safe to use the oven.  People tend to get paranoid over little
things, like having to use a separate set of pans, etc.   You will not
contaminate your food by oven sharing.  Otherwise, i would have dropped over
dead years ago!

I use my oven for both gluten and gluten-free foods and have never had a
problem. I do, however, try to cook the foods separately. I think the main
concern is with toasters were gf bread could come into contact with gluten
crumbs.

My husband and I share our oven, but I make sure that if we ever put
anything directly on the rack, it gets washed between gluten-free and
gluten-containing uses.  Other than that, the food shouldn't touch anything
from which it would get contaminated, as the pans/cookie sheets used are
always clean.  In the case of multiple foods being in the oven at the same
time, I make sure that my gluten-free food is covered, and/or that whatever
else is in the oven can't splash, sizzle oil, or drop crumbs into my food.

My greater concern is the microwave, as my husband doesn't always notice if
his food has spit crumbs onto the ceiling of the microwave oven.  I'm afraid
of having those crumbs fall into my food when I'm then microwaving, but
normal cleaning-up-after-oneself between microwave users should be
adequate.

Certainly scrubbing everything down will keep you safe, but I think that's a
level of caution that is unlikely to be necessary.

Provided you use drip trays and nothing splatters, you should be okay, but
personally, I haven't found anything I haven't been able to re-create.  I use
my dad's oven without a problem and I'm the super-sensitive type, but I won't
use his toaster because it's not a toaster-oven.

ive always heard that ovens are safe- gluten in dishes does not go into the air-
 i know ppl have issues iwth factories because of loose flour, but im assuming
you're not blowing loose flower around your oven:-) just be aware of what
touches your racks- i'd recommend aluminum foil. ive heard toasters are much
easier to contaminate- harder to clean.

I have for over thirty years used the same oven for both GF and nonGF meals.
I have had several biopsies over this period and none have showed any
damage.

Yes, you can use your oven safely.  The high heat from the oven burns off
any residue.  Assuming you don't place any food directly on your oven racks,
and that you use clean ovenware, you shouldn't have any problems.  I've been
a diagnosed celiac for 35 years and raised a family of non-celiacs.  To this
day, I've never had a problem.  To avoid cross contamination you should do
the following -- get a separate toaster -- this is where the greatest
contamination occurs; keep your own jar of peanut butter and tub of
margarine -- cross contamination from knives is a problem;  use different
plastic cutting boards (mine is white, while my husband's is blue); and finally,
store your gluten free foods on a different shelf in the frig or label them
as "GF".

The only thing I really worry about is putting pizza directly on the
racks...Wheat dough that sicks to the rack hardens & is eventually knocked
off.  I don't want my cookie sheet on the top shelf knocking those crumbs
onto the tray of cookies baking on the shelf below. Other than that, you just
need to keep the 'dust' aspect of flour contained.  A wipe w/ a damp cloth
would suffice instead of a total scrub.  Stuff that's baked into grease isn't
going anywhere until you do an oven clean--Those w/ cleaning setting bake
everything to carbon to wipe away with a damp cloth. Chemical oven cleaners
dissolve the grease so you can wipe it away.

I have always used my oven at home for both kinds of food, both GF and non-
GF.  I've always been extremely careful when preparing foods and cleaning
dishes, and I don't cook something GF below something that isn't so as not to
contaminate the GF dish.  I know many people have different opinions on this,
and they're entitled to their own opinions.  This way has always worked for
us.  (Please note that I am the owner of Molly's Gluten-Free Bakery and that
at the bakery, I never, ever even bring anything containing gluten into the
facility.  Same with nuts.)  I'll be interested to see how many people actually
have a gluten-free house.  It seems that since gluten free foods are easier to
find, more people are doing it that way.

I use the following procedure and have never had a problem: I cook the gluten
stuff below the gluten free stuff.  IF the gluten food is likely to spray or make
a mess, I cover it with foil.  I never cook anything right on the oven rack.  If
you did cook a gluten pizza on the oven rack directly (no pan), then yes, I
would scrub the rack.  I would never cook gluten food that is not covered on
the top rack.

*******
*******