From:
"Karen H. Shirley" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen H. Shirley
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2008 15:20:18 -0700

Hi everyone,

I know that it may seem to many of you that this topic has been asked about before.  I felt like I remembered seeing a few emails since I joined in January 2008 but the archives do not have anything since 2006.

I am looking for any and all help on pregnancy, but my situation is probably different than the "classical" (whatever that may be) as that I have not been diagnosed with celiac disease.  In fact, my blood work for it was negative.  My issue is that I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes.   I am wondering if this could be related to my having celiac or the baby I am carrying having it.   More background may be helpful....

My daughter was diagnosed with celiac disease in December 2007.  She was almost 18 months old.   No one in either my husband or my family had previously been diagnosed.   My mother, my sister and I all fairly immediately had the blood tests done because we all felt like we had symptoms.   My sister and I came back being negative. My mother's was inconclusive. She had developed adult/ Type 1 diabetes at age 65.    She manages this strictly with diet and since her blood test has tried to cut back on gluten but does not maintain a strike gluten free diet.    I also do not maintain a strict gluten free diet although the gluten I eat is limited as I try to only eat foods at home that my daughter can also have.  My father was also tested and his blood work was negative.

My husband has not yet been tested but now with me being pregnant is going to go in.   I think his father likely does have celiac but he will not get tested.  He claims this is because his insurance won't cover the test.   He had his gall bladder removed in his 20s or 30s and has always been very sensitive to all types of foods (no breads though).  Additionally, he gets a rash on his hands, legs and scalp, but won't even ask his doctor if it is related to celiac.

During my daughter's pregnancy, I was borderline gestional diabetic but seemed to control it my blood sugar with diet.   My daughter was on the small side when she was born but we also were at high altitude (above 7500 feet) when she was delivered.   I am wondering if I should try going gluten free -- if that could help the unborn child if they in fact have celiac.   There seems to be so many conflicting studies on when to introduce gluten if at all to a second child in a family where it is present.  I also have eaten some gluten already and am not sure if that means cutting it out now won't make a difference.

Thanks in advance, and I will definitely try to summarize.

I will also try to get in touch with my daughter's gastrointestinal doctor and see what his thoughts are.

Karen Shirley
Colorado

*******
*******