From:
Alex Pierschalla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alex Pierschalla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2007 18:24:20 -0700

  Thanks to everyone who replied. Please see below for responses to each of the questions I previously posted.

  -Alex

  1. Has anyone tried bioAllers Sinus & Allergy homeopathic nasal spray?  If so, any opinions on it?

  One response: a person who is gluten and casin intolerant has used BioAllers Allergy Nasal Spray, likes the product and has not had any problems. (I've also called the company to confirm it as GF and was told that there are no gluten ingredients and that cross contamination should not be a concern)

  2. Any opinions on Yogi Tea, Breathe Deep organic tea? I recently contacted the company and was given some information that is more confusing to me than anything -- not sure if I'll trust the product any more.

  They told me that Breathe Deep tea does not contain gluten, but that they have four other teas that are made with barley and their lines are "steam cleaned." They also said that since they store oats in a common area, there is a 1-2 parts per million chance of cross contamination (I guess this is true if their oats have occasional wheat bits mixed in......).

  "I use the Breathe Deep tea and have not had a problem."

   ...trying to get information on GF teas recently as well...and have also been getting quite confusing answers! Celestial Seasonings has quite a few flavors that are actually labeled GF on the box. PG Tips tea from england is GF. Have contacted Organic India tea and was told: "Our products are all gluten free, however at this time we cannot guarantee that the machines used to process do not process products with gluten. We are currently working on this issue and hope reconcile this issue by our next tea run which will be available this coming January."

    Ironically, I'm drinking Yogi tea right now, although I've never used the Breathe Deep variety. I've never had a problem with their teas - I have the Simpley Green Tea, Green Chai, and Green tea with Goji Berry. It is true that some of their teas do contain barley, but they do list it on the package in the ingredients, so those are easy to spot. As for cleaning the lines, that should be more than sufficient (in my opinion) to remove any latent traces of barley in between GF and non-GF tea runs.

  As for the oats - personally I wouldn't worry about it. The oats are in bags. The oats are not used on the tea lines (separate product), and oats are not inhearently gluten containing. So you're thinking about possibly cross contaminated oats, in bags, in the same room as GF teas. The contamination possibily is remote. And then you take the tea, put it in a teabag and steep it in water.

  Now admittedly I am not the world's most sensitive celiac, but I think it's pretty safe to have the tea.

  Personally, I stay as far away as reasonably possible from any
potential cross-contamination. Since there are so many other teas on the
market, I wouldn't use this product.  I usually carry one or two of my own
teabags in a plastic bag, just in case a restaurant doesn't carry a
gluten-free tea (for example, Mighty Leaf tea seems to be popular at
restaurants, but has possible cross-contamination, so I don't drink it).