Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 1996 15:13:57 -0400
From:
Karen McKenzie Moerman <[log in to unmask]>

Hi All!
1.   Any knowledge if the RDA's for celiacs differs in anyway from the
standard USA RDA's (Recommeded Dietary Allowances's)?
2. Could deficiencies in minerals/vitamins cause tiredness, joint pains
and muscle aches?

BACKGROUND:
   We eat a pretty standard GF/milk free diet with a balance of
carbohydrates= 50%, protein = 25%, and fats = 25%. My caloric intake is at
 maintainance
for a female 5'6" and 36 years old.  I've been tracking our dietary
intake through a computer program that 'spits out' the consumed values of
(amongst other things) zinc, magnesium and calcium. All these  are very
low (redlined: areas of concern according to the program; time of evaluation
 over
a 3 month period). B vitamins are a pain to keep up too.
   I brought the idea of mineral/vitamin levels up with my doctor. Nice
guy but... his response to my dietary concerns on being a celiac were:
1. One needs to know for sure the diagnosis of celiac so you don't have to
buy GF bread at $/loaf if not necessary. He knows that both my son and I are
celiacs ergo  eat GF. Different thread but FEEL FREE to follow this up!
2.and... well.. there was no #2 from him <sigh>

   The last year or so I've been getting more and more tired. My muscles
ache (upper arms, upper legs, rib cage area) and my joints seem to be
getting irritated. Last summer/fall my hand joints all swelled up, were
hot & the skin was a deep red. The doctor tested for rheumatoid arthritis via a
bloodtest... guess it was negative, never heard back. After about 10 weeks this
went away but the overall aches and tiredness never did and joints still
seem to randomly get irritated.
   Guess I'm tryng to figure out what's going on... checked out getting
older but refuse to accept that .. YET!<grin>

Karen in Nova Scotia, Canada