From:
Carol Arendt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Arendt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2007 19:10:30 -0600

Thanks to everyone. Since I am disabled & don't drive some of the suggestions are feasible for me & some not.

Here we go....

you might check with any health food stores in the area. They might be willing to order bulk for you. I am in a buying club now, but originally bought in bulk from the local health food store, 25 # bags of white or brown rice flour, 10#s of tapioca flours. Or try any international stores,

I buy mine at Oriental food markets in 50 pound bags. I store the flour in Rubbermaid containers.

Mr Ritts bakery has great flour and ships - based in PA. Hope that helps! PS - they also have great sandwich bread!

Have you checked www.amazon.com in the gluten free section?

I have been able to find sweet rice in 1# boxes at our local HEB and Walmart stores. The brand is Koda Farms - made in Texas- and is a little less than$1 per #. I usually find this on the Asian foods aisle.
I find 1# boxes of potato starch near the Kosher food section. I can't recall the brand name but I think it was cheaper than miss robens.
I have been buying Tapioca starch - made in Taiwan - at a local asian store or in our HEB grocery (local to TX I think) It is very cheap but I do sometimes worry about contamination
I have struggled with a source for brown rice flour. Apparently that is not an ingredient common to Indian, Asian, or other ethnic foods that I have seen. Miss robens seems to be the best choice I have found so far. I prefer the smooth texture from Authentic Foods but the shipping and prices are astronomical.

 I buy from Authentic foods in bulk.

The cheapest places for gf flours are at Oriental markets.
For example, the white rice flour, tapioca and potato starches are .69 lb.

We use the Domata Living Flour (website is www.domatalivingflour.com). They say that it is the cheapest in price that you can buy. It also measures equal to regular flour in recipes and there is no need to add xanthum gum as it is already in the mix.

Try Bob's Red Mill.

I recommend checking any local Asian supermarkets. Ours have amazing deals on rice, potato & sometimes bean flours. I don't live in your area, but check your yellow pages. One point to consider: if you are very sensitive, look for Thai packagers since wheat is rarely grown in Thailand & there is less chance of contamination from the mill.

(A note from me: My husband took me to our local Walmart & we searched the isles, but no flour other than various wheat flours. very disappointing. I've been comparing Miss Robens & Bob's Red Mill, They run pretty much the same, one item .10 more here or another .20 more there. I found Authentic to be more expensive.  Getting to an Oriental market would be cool to check out, & I'm sure there's most likely one in St. Louis somewhere. But we live about an hour out. I'm gonna have to do as some have suggested & hunt through the phone book. So at the moment I'm going to order my 25lbs Sorghum from Twin Valley Mills, & the rest from Bob's or Miss Robens.   Thanks all & Happy Holidays)