From:
Theresa Brandon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Theresa Brandon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2008 14:06:51 -0500

Thank you all who responded to my email about soy and wheat intolerances my
Daughter has.  I will try to summerize for you:
Some said to use Fleischman's Light (sorry soybean oil)
Mazola corn oil (sorry soybean oil)
Smart Balance (sorry soybean oil)
coconut oil (possiblity)
W-F-N Mayo (haven't found it)
K-F-P Mayo (haven't found it)
Mother's during passover.
Hellman's Mayo (sorry soybean oil)
Spectrum canola oil mayo and palm oil for frying.  Most Spectrum has a small
amount of soy present.
Butter (clarified/Ghee) Her best bet is to try butter, whether it is
clarified or not.
All margarines contain a form of soy.  I would say we checked out over 20
brands yesterday.
One person said to mix 1/2 butter and 1/2 canola oil together.  This will
make soft spread butter.  You can also buy this from Land of Lakes.
Smart one carries a mayo without soy of any kind in it.  And it is low
calorie besides.
Carol Fenster has a recipe for Mayo in her cookbook. And the following is a
recipe I received for Mayo:
*

Safer EZ Hand Blender Mayonnaise *Put ingredients in the bottom of a
wide-mouth

2 c. jar (mustard jar w/ lid) in the following order:

1 coddled egg--see quick instructions

1/2 tsp. dried ground mustard

1/4 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. sugar (optional)

1/4 tsp. salt

2 Tbs. cider vinegar

Insert hand blender & start.

Slowly add 1 c. vegetable oil of your choice

(Using canola oil will maximize Omega 3-s.)

Mix until thick & smooth—This will take less than a minute. Mayonnaise will
continue to thicken as it chills in the refrigerator.
*

Raw eggs can transmit salmonella.
*

Coddling the egg will eliminate the risk…It takes 2 mugs & ~2 minutes.
Coddling will cause the yolk to become slightly thickened and warm. (Eggs
could still be separated after coddling to use two whites or yolks instead
of the whole egg.)
*

To coddle an egg:* Bring a very fresh egg to room temperature by placing it
in a mug and covering it w/ hot tap water. Heat another mug of water in the
microwave until boiling. Quickly drain hot tap water from mug 1 & re-cover
egg with boiling water from mug 2. Leave egg in boiling water for *exactly 1
minute*…Use the timer feature on the microwave. Immediately run cold tap
water over egg to cool. Proceed w/recipe.
I guess the one thing I learned, is it is very important to keep reading
those labels, and thank you again for all your help.

--
Theresa Brandon