From:
Molly Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Molly Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2008 18:17:16 -0500

I lived in Vail for ten years, and moved to Sun Valley six months ago.  I just
joined the listserv, so I missed the earlier discussions.  For those who go in
the future, here are my suggestions.

As another reader said, bring lots of $$ - but you will find some of the best
food in the country there.  Here are my suggestions.

1.  Terra Bistro - Chef Kevin Nelson knows all about gluten and is very careful
in preparation if you let the kitchen/waiter know.  Keith and Pete are the most
experienced waiters, and know every ingredient in every dish - request them
when you make your reservation.  Call days/weeks in advance, because it's
the best restaurant in town and day of reservations can't really be had.  As
for my favorite dish/app - have the tuna tartare MINUS the crisps (that have
wheat).   In Vail Village - $$$$ (but worth it!)

2.  Larkspur - The Executive Chef's wife has celiacs, so they know all about
GF foods.  I can't recommend a server, but Adam Baker is the manager, and
can easily step in if your waiter doesn't know answers to your questions.  An
excellent wine list, great atmosphere.  $$$$  Another tip - go have a
Larkburger at the bar in the restaurant.  They will wrap your burger in lettuce
and their fries are GF and superb.  They are the best burgers you will find.
They don't serve the burger in the main restaurant at dinner.  This will be the
less expensive option for "$$".  They are also open for lunch.  I'm pretty sure
the tomato soup (served at lunch only) is GF and people love it!  Located at
the base of Golden Peak in Vail.

3.  If you're in the mood for a drive to Edwards (20 minutes from Vail, 15 from
BC), the guys are Larkspur took their award winning burger and opened up a
gourmet fast food place.  Same great burgers, just in a very casual but nice
environment.  The truffle fries are great.  $

4.  Sato is the best sushi in the Valley, but located in Edwards.  Osaki's is in
Vail Village - again sushi.  But bring your own WF tamari to both.  $$$

5.  For a good old, fun night on the town, head to Minturn to Chilly Willy's.
(mexican)  Their enchiladas are great - I have only tried the cheese, chicken
and ground beef.  They are GF.  I ask for no sauce, because I'm not sure
what's in it.  I've been there many, many times because it was relatively
cheap, and I always knew I would be fine with the enchiladas.  Have not tried
any other items on the menu.  Margaritas are great too.  $$

As for BC restaurants...I can tell you while the food is incredible at Mirabelle
(at the base of BC), the chef's english is not very good, and while I did my
best to have my waiter translate GF to French, I still got sick.  You can
definitely try Grouse Mountain Grill - the chef is very thorough and the servers
are very on top of the menu.  $$$$   Beano's (on the mountain - dinner only)
is very accommodating to GF needs.  $$$$

As for where to eat when you're skiing - Two Elk (at Vail) is the best food on
the mountain, and the food is prepared in front of you, and the chef can
answer questions.  Arrive early - it's crowded!  I would go with bun-less
burger (verify ingredients), and fries.  Spruce Saddle is the equivalent
restaurant at BC.

Enjoy!