Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2008 16:03:40 EST

Thanks to everyone for so many helpful responses. I apologize for how  long
this summary is- just seems like soy sauce is important and there are a lot  of
opinions about it.
What I still don't understand is why kariout soy sauce brand packets do  not
appear to contain any gluten, yet the response from the company says there  is
a wheat protein in them? (Listed ingredients are: water, salt, hydrolyzed soy
and corn protein, caramel color, sodium  benzoate) Don't they have to list
it??
I tried to organize responses a  bit....
Regarding  the soy sauce packets:
From  companies-
Info  from _www.wyindustries.com_ (http://www.wyindustries.com/) , makers of
WY soy sauce packets is that:their packets contain:
soy  sauce ingredient -
veg protein is soy based.
caramel color color is corn based
corn syrup.
Response  from Kariout:
Hi,
I believe you were trying to  ask me if our Soy sauce is gluten free.
The answer is no. It does contain a wheat based  protein. However we do
carry a gluten free soy which comes in
a green packet that will indicate that  it is.

Thank you.
Ganee Mays
Customer Service/Sales
Kari-Out  Company
914 580-3200 Ext 214
www.kariout.com
From  listserv:
Many commented the wheat free  packets of soy sauce are probably Ok because
they are not true fermented soy  sauce, but a less-expensive concoction of
salt, soy protein, color & etc. to  mimic salty flavor.  If the individual packet
has a wheat-free ingredient  list, it is probably OK.
No wheat is used, it is like La Choy  in the supermarket.
I noticed the same thing several  years ago and located a phone number for
Jardine who made the packets that I  had. They confirmed there was no wheat in
them. As I understand it wheat may  cause the soy sauce to look cloudy in the
packet. We have used Jardine (and  several other brands of take out packets)
for years with not one single problem.  But we ALWAYS read the packets to make
sure. Beware though, don't use  Kikomann's packets. They do list wheat, but
their packets aren't clear plastic  so they don't have to worry about clouding
You are better off not chancing  it.....each one could be from a different
distributer. The "regular" soy sauce  that is gluten free is LaChoy.
The little packets tend to be OK for  us. If you want to have soy sauce at
home, our family prefers the San-J  brand. Sometimes, the Chinese restaurant
will let you bring your own sauce  in.

If you love all kinds of  oriental foods, I'd stick with Tai and Vietnamese.
They tend not to use soy  sauce at all. And their noodles and wrappers tend
to be made with rice  flour.
Links to buying GF  packets
_http://www.glutenfree.com/Kari-Out-GF-Soy-Sauce/Item955046_
(http://www.glutenfree.com/Kari-Out-GF-Soy-Sauce/Item955046)
You can order the  packets from _www.minimus.biz_
(mip://08773e80/www.minimus.biz)    specifically--  _http://www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=7667_
(http://www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=7667)
Many of the restaurants have packets  of soy sauce with hydrolized vegetable
protein made from corn and/or soy.   If they don't list a protein source,
assume it's from wheat and stay away from  it.  At home I prepare stir fries with
San-J wheat free/gluten free Tamari  sauce.  All it is is soy sauce without
wheat.  Very little taste  difference and perfectly safe to eat.  The ones I use
are KAri-out brand  and are GF. You can ask the restaurant to use the packets
to make your meal  since they usually prepare foods with Kikoman which is not
GF. We do it all the  time.
One thing I've found over the years  (I was diagnosed 35 years ago), is that
I always order a chinese meal made with  a white sauce, i.e. shrimp or chicken
with mixed vegetables, or something  steamed.  Remember, anything that has a
brown sauce is guaranteed to  be made with wheat-containing soy sauce.
If you're a regular customer, ask  the owner of the restaurant if you can
have your meal made without soy sauce or  if you can provide the Tamari.  The
only issue then would be  cross-contamination.  It is a real problem if you are
very sensitive.   This would mean that they chef would have to thoroughly clean
out a wok for you  -- and very few restaurants are willing to do this.  The
only major Asian  restaurant I know of that will do this is P.F.Chang's
Re: Soy Sauce in  general:
Best to go to an Asian market and  buy Golden Mountain soy sauce, if it still
has no wheat in it. Then take it with  you to restaurants.
Walmart also has normal bottle sizes  of soy sauce that say gluten free in
big letters on the  back.
It seems that the cheaper brands of  soy sauce are the gluten
free kinds. I've not had a problem with soy sauce  since I ate at my
brother's  and he had used Kikkimon in his  marinade.
I think I would feel better about  buying a bottle of gf soy sauce from a
recognized brand unless it has
a  recognized brand on it, especially if it is imported - who knows who
packed  it?
I use Eden organic tamari ( wheat on the label) or San J (they label it
gluten free).
You need to look for tamari soy  sauce as this is the type that is
often GF (though not always). This was the  original soy sauce, made
by adding water to miso, a fermented paste derived  from soy beans.
Here's some more information about this type of soy sauce,
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=110
I buy Kroger brand soy sauce at my  Kroger store, it does not have any of the
forbidden ingredients.  If  you do not have a Kroger, check the  store brand
products where  you  shop.  I live by the "Read the Label"  maxim.
Many, Many people recommended La Choy and one also recommended Chung King as
GF
from, Bambi in  NY

Awards. Go to AOL Music.

*******