From:
Frederick P Fendt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frederick P Fendt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:10:59 -0400

Having been a Celiac for seven years and one who travels greater than 75%
of the time for work, I totally get everyone's frustration with
restaurants et al.  I especially understand the frustration if you are the
parent of a Celiac child and are not just protecting your own health but
feel the responsibility to protect your child.

That said, I think we sometimes are our own worst enemies in pestering
food vendors the way we do.  Food vendors are in business to provide a
product that the market demands and make a profit for themselves or their
shareholders.  If they can accommodate the Celiac community (or the
diabetic community or the food allergy community), great.  But they really
have no obligation to.  After watching some of the bickering going on, I
have thought that if I owned a food company, I would just sprinkle a
little wheat flour (and ground peanuts, etc.) on all products and state so
clearly on the label, to obviate the question of whether the product was
suitable for those groups.  (As a Celiac, I am glad the actual food
vendors don't think that way, but we need to be careful not to alienate
them with our pestering).

Anyway, just my two cents worth.  Feel free to flame away!

Fred Fendt