From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 14:02:43 -0500

O.K. The responses have started to come in. This one is from a winery near our home in NJ. The Valenzano family makes fantastic wine, even though southern NJ isn't famous for vinyards. (We're more known for blueberries, peaches and apples.....and, of late, overgrown suburbs.)
Lin

Linda

I have never heard of wheat paste used in barrel making.  This sounds like an ancient barrel making technique.   I doubt that quality wine barrel manufactures would taint their barrels with an organic product.  I will look into this if you like, but I highly doubt it is true.

The following wines are produced without any contact with oak barrels:

Shamong Red
Labrusca
Pinelands Blush
Vidal Blanc
White Cabernet
Cranberry Wine
White Cranberry Wine
Blueberry Wine
Raspberry Wine
Strawberry Wine
Razz-N-Cranberry Sangria

The following wines are aged in oak barrels:

Chambourcin
Merlot
Cabernet/Merlot
Cynthiana
Old Indian Mills Blend
Chardonnay

I have to assume that even if there is some wheat paste used in making the barrels; the amount transferred to the wine would be an extremely small amount (less than 1 part per million).

Anthony B Valenzano
Valenzano Winery
1320 Old Indian Mills Rd
Shamong, NJ 08088