Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 21:33:18 -0400

The rest from before .....

-------------------
We use 'Cause You're Special pie crust mix, and the pie has been very good.
For the gravy, I add some chicken broth to the pan drippings, strain it
all, then thicken it with 1/4 cup water mixed with 2T cornstarch. I keep
adding this amount and bringing the gravy to a boil until I feel the gravy
is thick enough, stirring constantly with a whisk. If the cornstarch leaves
lumps at all, just strain the gravy.
--------------------
On next week's newsletter, glutenfree.com will feature a full thanksgiving
menu (over 10 recipes). If you are not registered, it's free and you can
subscribe to it on www.glutenfree.com and then click on the green button to
the right to apply for it.
--------------------
There are some wonderful holiday recipes in my newest book, The Gluten-Free
Bible, in particular a wonderful sage stuffing by gluten-free chef Rebecca
Reilly. You will find them all in a chapter called Amazing Grace. Enjoy!
Jax Lowell

Jax Peters Lowell is the author of Against The Grain and
The Gluten-Free Bible (Henry Holt) and the illustrated
children's book, No More Cupcakes & Tummy Aches (Xlibris).
She is a frequent contributor to Living Without Magazine.
www.jaxlowell.com
--------------------
The best advice I can give you is to use the bread: "Bread from Anna" you
can purchase it from her website: www.glutenevolutions.com (she also lists
store to buy it at. I buy two cases at a time! El Peto has a great stuffing
mix (if you like the stofers type of stuffing)! I also am a member of
www.glutenfreeda.com there is always great recipies there!
--------------------
I've had great luck with the Gluten-Free Pantry piecrust mix for my pumpkin
and mincemeat pies. I also use their cornbread mix for stuffing - the
stuffing recipe is on the back of the package.
I use Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose GF Baking Mix instead of flour to make my
traditional cakes, popovers, cookies, etc., without changing the recipes. I
find that if I use EggBeaters or packaged egg whites, I can add a little
bit extra as insurance against the baked goods crumbling too much.
--------------------
You might want to try making dinner rolls from one of Bette Hagman's
recipies for French bread. The recipe is called "Rapid Rise French Bread"
and uses a French Bread pan. I have successfully divided the dough from the
recipe, found in the "More From The Gluten Free Gourmet" cookbook, into
roll sized mini-loaves, and followed the same baking directions. Recipe on
page 41. Use about 2 large tablespoons (overflowing) of the dough per roll.
You may need to adjust the dough balls to get the proper size for your use.

The recipe uses Rice flour and Tapioca flour (starch) as the main
ingredients. The resulting rolls have a nice hard crust, and a softer
middle. You will need a French loaf pan to get the best results, although I
have not really tried baking these rolls on a flat 'cookie' sheet.  I hope
this helps. I really love the bread and rolls I get from this recipe.
--------------------
First, regarding pies (dessert is top priority, right?!), you can take just
about any pie recipe (it doesn't have to be a GF recipe per se, you just
have to make sure the ingredients you use are GF) and make it gluten
free/crustless by adding 1/4 cup of gluten-free flour to the batter. It's
really a great tip. So for pumpkin pie, you can use any recipe and just add
1/4 cup GF flour to everything else. Some recipes like one I use for
coconut pie already has a little flour in the recipe, that's okay, you just
add 1/4 cup more. www.cooks.com has some great recipes for crustless
cheesecakes. I have made this recipe for flourless chocolate cake and it
was to die for. Even though it calls for organic chocolate, butter, etc., I
just used regular butter, eggs, Toll House semi-sweet chocolate morsels,
etc. instead.
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/dessert/cake_flourlesschoc.html
Second, for the main course, most people like whole turkeys, but I prefer
turkey breasts as that is the only part I like to eat. This recipe for
making one using the crockpot is fabulous and so easy. It includes steps
for making its own gravy.
http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotturkeyrecipes/r/bl84c2.htm For a
spicier different turkey breast, this recipe is fantastic.
http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotturkeyrecipes/r/bl93c1.htm