From:
Melissa Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melissa Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:33:34 -0700

After being tested for everything from MS to diabetes over the last 8
months, and nearly dismissing it as celiac neuropathy, I now find out from
my new endocrinologist that I have a Vitamin D deficiency and it is most
likely the cause for the numbness, weakness, and prickly/crawly sensations.

At least I found out before going through a lumbar puncture!  If the
megadoses of Vitamin D he's prescribed work, then that's all it was.  My
active form of Vitamin D is fine, but the stored form is half of what it
should be.

Now I need to consider that both my children may have, or had, vitamin D
deficencies since I breastfed them exclusively for a time while I was
deficient.  Maybe it explains my toddler's tooth troubles (enamel was very
weak and had to have lots of work done on them at age 3).  Would it also
explain some of his trouble growing?  (He has CD as well)  My 1 year old
stopped growing for a time when my symptoms started, so I started feeding
him more solid foods and protein sources with some success, but maybe he
needs more vitamin D.  Of course, he'll get it from me now! (He's still
nursing quite a bit, fortunately I didn't wean him yet though for a time it
looked like I would have to so I could take medications for imminent nerve
pain...which never came along fortunately, I'm not sure vitamin D deficiency
could cause nerve pain).

-Melissa