Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:01:31 -0500

Yesterday I asked folks to send me the brands of any turkey they've
found that DOES have gluten in it. The purpose of the post, which I
didn't make completely clear, was to demonstrate in a different way
how extremely easy it is to buy a GF turkey. I knew what would happen
before the first person answered -- my list of turkeys with gluten
would be empty.

A couple of people misunderstood my post and sent me explanations of
how any gluten HAS to be clearly listed in meat ingredients. I've
posted the same information to the list several times over the years,
so I was aware of that. With plain raw meat there's no need for a GF
list or to call the company (unless you want to check about CC
possibilities). Just read the label.

A couple of people wrote to tell me that they were certain that
Butterball "injected" wheat into their turkeys. This is not true.
Butterball turkeys are GF unless they're stuffed.

Jenny-O did have a problem a few years ago, according to this post:

"... about a year ago, I purchased 2 Jennie-O turkey breasts (on
different dates) where they had managed to staple the gravy packet
with the staple that had to be removed to open the whole package
containing the turkey.  The result was that the gravy packet leaked
all over the turkey upon opening it!  I thought the first time to be
an accident, but when it happened twice, I called Jennie-O.  They
were wonderfully responsive and immediately remedied the problem --
which turned out to be some kind of problem in the packaging process.
(I do wish they had sent me coupons for free turkey breasts to
replace the ones I couldn't eat -- but I was grateful that they fixed
it, and PROMPTLY.)"

All the other responses were people reporting that they had never
seen an unstuffed bird with gluten.

Bottom line? Go choose your turkey with confidence. Keep it away from
the stuffing and you'll be fine.

richard