From:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:23:27 -0500

Celiac Listmates,

Today I ordered my Monday lunch, the standard "GF sweet
and sour pork" from Pei Wei Asian Diner on University in
College Station, TX.

I was shocked when the manager said, "we can't do that one
gluten-free."

I have been ordering from the Pei Wei GF menu for the last
year or so, since it opened. Now I often eat there
2X/week. There has never been a question about the GF pork
before, or problem with it. Today, however, the manager
showed me the current GF menu at Pei Wei - it only
includes chicken, shrimp, or scallops.

If pork was never on their GF menu, I don't know why I
would be ordering it - or why they would make it for that
matter. The fact is, at some point the pork WAS made
available as a gluten-free option. I liked it - so I began
eating it exclusively whenever I dined there.

Over the last few weeks I have been having horrible
headaches, dark bruising, and sore itchy/blistery elbows
(dermatitis herpetiformis)... along with mild depression
and irritability. I have had mild intestinal issues for
months, some recent weight loss after having my baby (1
month premature). I'm down to 120 lbs. again.

Turns out that the Pei Wei pork is marinated in a soy
sauce that contains gluten. The manager explained that
there would be a "very minute" amount of gluten in the
food I have been eating, but I explained to her that a
"minute" amount can still do damage, not to mention that I
had been repeatedly exposing myself over and over again.

She was very, very sorry.

Pei Wei and Outback Steakhouse are the only places in town
that offer a GF menu. Pei Wei is the only place I dine out
at, and I carefully cook all of my own meals - due to
being an excuisitely sensitive celiac.

Just thought I'd share, in case anyone else is making the
same (or similar) mistake.

Several places in Texas have Pei Wei Asian Diner.

Looking forward to getting 100% gluten free again.

Megan Tichy
Bryan, TX

*******
*******