Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2006 13:11:41 -0500

Hi All--

I just saw a new GI doc (on first impression, he's sharp and knows what's
what) - we'll see how things actually turn out. I did not go to see him
because of celiac issues - directly. I'm having trouble swallowing, getting
too full too fast when I eat and therefore can't consume enough food to be
nutritionally sound, and possibly showing signs of peripheral neuropathy.

My question is this: Which are the recommended labs for genetic testing?
Since my blood work and biopsy were deemed "inconclusive for Celiac" by Mayo
Clinic six years ago, this new doc suggested the genetic testing. He
suggested the genetic testing because we can't find an answer to the leg
pain and constipation I'm having. If the gene test indicates I have the
marker(s), he thinks it's possible that the constipation and pain could be a
result of one of the neuropathies. I searched the archives, but didn't find
much on recommended labs for genetic testing. This is something we're just
thinking about - it's not a done deal. I'm sure I saw something posted
recently on good labs for gene testing, but evidently I didn't use the right
search terms.

My second question, now that I'm on the subject....Has anyone read any
medical/research literature on gene testing being negative, but biopsy and
sera are positive. I know one person posted to the list that her daughter's
gene test was negative, but sera or biopsy was positive. I've been
searching PubMed, but haven't seen anything. I won't go through the gene
testing if this is a possibility.

Thanks. I'll summarize.  ~~Ayn in Alabama

*******
*******