From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 2006 14:01:41 -0400

Per my concern about going to Moriarty's Pub and Restaurant in Philadelphia (1116 Walnut St.)
As I mentioned in my post earlier this week, friends had made our reservations and it was too late to book reservations elsewhere since it was a Saturday night in the theater district...but it all worked out.

I phoned the manager of Moriarty's (Glenn) a day or so before going. He asked when my reservations were for and alerted the chef and waiter about my diet concerns. I had a great salmon dish without the whiskey sauce, with mashed potatoes and vegetables of the day (had dairy in them), and crouton-less salad.  There were also steaks to be had, as well. I didn't explore the chicken.
(A listmate suggested shrimp cocktail...but their shrimps are beer-battered, not steamed.)

Their menu is truly filled with pages of stuff we can't eat, most of it is marinated in advance or fried (pub fare), and the manager admitted it's not really aimed at special diets....Yet, they accommodated me with grace (even though our friends were more than 1/2 hour late!). If I go again, I'd get an earlier reservation (not 6pm) to avoid putting undue demands on a chef and waitstaff who are trying to serve the dinner crowds and get them out by showtime. Bottom line, chalk this up to one more restaurant that showed good customer service.

Lin