From:
Ona Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ona Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2006 04:38:19 -0800

November 4, 2006

  What a wealth of knowledge!
  Thank you, everyone!

  I think I'm going to check the archives for a recipe using Cornstarch instead of flour, now.

  Thank you for sharing your wisdom & experience with me.

  Respectfully,   Ona

  1)----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HOW TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE CELIAC DISEASE
  One reason to know FOR SURE that you have Celiac Disease is because then you are more likely to stick to a strict gluten-free diet, which means not just eating grains, but anything DERIVED from grains.  Many of your other conditions may respond well to a full blown gluten free diet, which COULD mean that eventually you would not need any additional "vitamin therapy" and keep in mind that MANY vitamins contain gluten, so watch which ones you are buying and contact the manufacturer to see if gluten is used as one of the starches.  As you know, with your dad having full blown Celiac, you certainly increase your odds of having this.

  A second reason to know for sure, is that Celiac disease is directly linked to many other diseases, one being Osteoporosis and many doctors will not do early testing for Osteoporosis, unless there is a predetermined reason to look for it.  (At 33 I was tested for it right after I was diagnosed with CD and at that point I was Early Stage - 10 years later I have full blown Osteoporosis and run a huge risk of early brittle bone disease, if they can not find a medicine my stomach can tolerate.)

  And the last reason to know for sure is because your gastroenterologist may watch you more closely for other conditions - like cancer or other auto-immune diseases that can effect the colon.

   A simple Genetic Blood Test would at least tell you if you even carry the Celiac Gene - perhaps you might want to ask your primary care doctor if he could order that for you??  Also a TTG blood test could also tell you if you have elevated glidian in your blood - which can indicate Celiac Disease (but its accuracy may be altered if you have been gluten free for several weeks - I am not sure if it is affective if you have just been grain free - that is a good doctor question.)

  These are all just thoughts and ideas to consider.

  2)----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  REFINED CORN PRODUCTS
  Dear List Mate,
I noticed that the less refined the corn product the more I react.
So I can't touch the can corn or popcorn or corn chips but a bit of
cornstarch or high fructose corn syrup will only give me a little extra
gas.

  3)-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  ALLERGY FROM THE PROTEIN
    I'm still curious, as to why I'm not affected by Cornstarch, when I'm allergic to both Corn & Wheat............rather ALL GRAINS, for that matter.

If it's an allergy, it's probably caused by the protein...Cornstarch should contain very little protein.

Allergies are IgE antibody reactions that produce a histamine response. Skin testing is used to detect these...

Celiac is typically an IgA reaction which is found in mucous membranes.

The delayed reaction food allergies/intolerances are IgG. Food with blood testing at specialty labs.
  4)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  USING CORNSTARCH INSTEAD OF GF & AP FLOURS
  I've been getting a lot of questions about using cornstarch in place of the gf flours.

First of all, let me say that I absolutely HATE the so-called gf "flours"  They are awful..gritty, weird tasting and heavy.  In a word..gross.

Julia Child said that you can use cornstarch when you run out of cake flour.  I tried it and it worked great.  Then I ran into a professional baker I know and asked him if you could sub cornstarch for cake flour, could you sub it for reg ap flour. The answer was a resounding "yes"

I ran a taste test.  I made my killer brownies with reg flour and one with cornstarch.  The cornstarch won hands down.

There's only one difference between baking with cornstarch and flour.

With reg flour, you cannot beat the batter after the flour has been added...that rule doesn't apply to cornstarch...you can beat it with any damage to batter.

When cake is cool, cut and wrap tightly. It will dry out quicker than ap flour.

note ap flour means all purpose flour

I've posted recipes ..check archives