From:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2006 13:28:22 -0500

Sorry for having to repost so many time.  I am not sure what I am doing
wrong that it isn't coming through on the Listserve as I have typed it. I
will again have to make 2 posts out of this.   I hope it works this time.
Apparently the fractions in the recipes didn't come through correctly for
some people.  I have reposted those recipes containing fractions.  I hope I
have caught all of them.  Rita

Rhubarb Muffins
1 & one-fourth cups of brown sugar
One half cup oil
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1 & one-half cups diced rhubarb
One half cup nuts (optional)
2 & one-half cups gf flour (I used Gifts of Nature)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
One-half tsp salt
Combine dry ingredients.
Combine rest of the ingredients and add to dry ingredients.
Put in greased or lined muffin tins.
Topping
1 or 2 tsp melted butter
One-third (1/3) cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Sprinkle on muffins and bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

BANANA-RHUBARB CRISP

2 medium –to–large bananas, sliced crosswise into rounds ¼ inch thick
2 & 1/2 (one-half) cups diced rhubarb (about 10 ounces, thawed if frozen)
4 tablespoons sugar, divided
One-fourth teaspoon cinnamon
Generous dash of nutmeg
One- half cup flour (white or whole-wheat)
One-half cup graham cracker crumbs (about 6 squares)
1 & One-half teaspoon baking powder
One-fourth cup butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
One-fourth cup skim milk
1.  In a medium bowl, combine the bananas, rhubarb, 2 tablespoons of the
sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Spoon the mixture into a well-greased 9-inch
pie plate or shallow baking dish (preferably glass or ceramic).

 2.  In a medium bowl, combine flour, graham cracker crumbs, and baking
powder.  With a pastry blender or two knives worked in crisscross fashion,
cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.

 3.  Combine the egg and milk, and stir this into the flour mixture.  Spoon
the batter as evenly as possible over the fruit mixture (the batter is hard
to spread, so don’t try).  Sprinkle the top of the crisp with the remaining
2 tablespoons of sugar.

4.  Bake the crisp in a preheated 400 oven for 25 to 30 minutes.  Serve the
crisp warm or at room temperature

GLUTEN-FREE for NED:  I used almond flour for the wheat flour and commercial
gluten –free ginger snaps for the graham crumbs and only 1/8 teaspoon G/F
baking powder. It turns out not very cake-like but looks ok and tastes
great. Experiment with substitutions and see what you like.  It’s just a
topping so it’s not too critical.

BAKED RHUBARB.  Recipe of Elana Raider, CHE

2 lb rhubarb, cut into 1" pieces
1/4 (one-fourth) tsp ground ginger
1/4  (One-fourth) tsp ground nutmeg
1.5 cups sugar
1/2 (One-half) cup orange juice (I use less)
 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees . Combine rhubarb, nutmeg and sugar in
non-reactive bowl.  Transfer mixture into a 9x12 baking dish.  Drizzle with
orange juice and cover with foil.

2. Bake 30 minus. Uncover, stir and bake for an additional 10 minutes, until
rhubarb is tender.