From:
McKinney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 20:52:22 -0600

Thank you all for your ideas, comments, support . it may be only coincidence
or there may be something to it.

Either way, my daughter doesn't feel like she is in this alone.

Sometimes just knowing that is good medicine for the soul.

Many thanks again, Laura

~~~~~~~

Question:

My daughter plays an outdoor sport and suffers from heat distress when the
temperature (and/or humidity) moves the thermometer into the 90's. Just
curious if this is a problem of other celiacs?

Answers:

I have a 14 (almost 15) year old daughter who is ALWAYS hot! We're in NJ and
even in the winter, most of the time she tells me she's hot. She is a
competitive dancer and works out a lot....Interesting connection.

I have always had similar problems.  I am only recently diagnosed and
haven't looked into it, but I would be interested in hearing what you find
out.  I am really not sure if there is a connection, but it does make sense
to me.  Lately, I have been having those troubles at even cooler
temperatures - and I am in my 20s, so it seems a bit early.  Therefore, it
would actually be more comforting to think that it was connected to the
celiac!

My daughter played softball in college and did not have any problems like
that.  She's always made sure she is fully hydrated by drinking plenty of
fluids all the time.

I saw your question and thought I'd let you know my non-celiac daughter (age
19) has the same problem. She overheats very easily, and has all her life.

I have always had severe trouble with heat distress and have to be extremely
careful in any kind of heat.  Maybe there is a connection!

Yes this is a problem for my celiac daughter.  We live in Austin.  I have to
say that this is a problem for me as well and I am not celiac.  So, I have
never been convinced that this is a celiac related symptom.

Heat has always been a problem for me.  Also, I don't sweat usually so that
makes me hotter than others too.

I have alot of trouble tolerating heat, especially when it is mixed with
humidity!

Living in Michigan, this is rarely a problem here, but 2 years ago when I
was visiting my husband's family in the Houston, Galveston area in August I
thought I would die from the heat.  I had never felt the heat like I did
then.  Most of the time I was there I had to stay inside.  Even a short time
outside and I would be getting nauseated and headaches.  I do not know if it
was just not being used to the heat, or the celiac having an effect too, but
I told my husband never again.  We would go in April or October.

Our daughter does get very hot easily, as well as very red in the face. I
also get very hot easily, but had never thought it to be connected to our
gluten intolerance.

Heat bothers me too.

I do have trouble with heat.  I don't know if it is associated with celiac
or not.  I am also a type 1 diabetic so that's part of the reason I have
trouble with heat.

I believe this is a common problem in many autoimmune diseases.  I know that
people with both MS and lupus suffer from this.

I've seen this happen in people who don't have celiac. I knew one every
healthy and athletic young woman who could not finish outdoor volleyball
tournaments when it was hot. If your daughter is GF, it seems unlikely
celiac has anything to do with it.

I also suffer from the heat (more the humidity, than the heat). I live in
Ohio where the humidity is awful, even in temperatures below 90. When I
visit out west in drier climates, I seem to take the heat better. So, I do
not know for sure if it is just the humidity or both give me distress.

It's always been a problem for me. I never really related it to Celiac
Disease, but I guess it could be possible. (I also live here in Texas.)

I have a very difficult time tolerating heat and humidity especially when
trying to exercise.  Celiac who has been gluten free for 10 months.
Tolerating heat was not a problem before for me.

I have always had problems when the temp goes above 76 and if it's high
humidity, things get really bad.  I've been this way since childhood, also
had stomach problems since childhood, but wasn't diagnosed celiac until age
39.  In the summer, I spend a lot of time indoors with my air conditioner.
I have to try to plan outdoor events when it's not so hot/humid outside, or
else early/late in day when it's not so hot, and take advantage of spring
and fall's better temperatures.  My family can tell when it's above 76 in
the house in the winter, because I always go turn the gas fireplace off.  To
me it feels like it's 95! I have seen some products for people with MS
(multiple sclerosis which I don't have), anyway they are things to help them
keep cool.  Vests that hold cold packs, hats that hold a cold gel filled
thingy in a bandana, etc.  I've considered getting some of these so I can
survive summer while doing more outdoor things.