From:
Eleanor Muise <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eleanor Muise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2006 02:43:18 -0400

Thank you all for your support (and some of you for your finger shaking).

The hit parade of easy questions to answer ...
I'm in Oahu, staying in Kailua, and yes, we did rent a car.
I found a Down to Earth store and picked out some of the basics which
supplemented the standard selection from Safeway. I even managed to get some
gluten-free, soy free, corn free, dairy free homemade cookies at Down to
Earth! Score! =)

Today was absolutely beautiful and I didn't go hungry ... which makes me a
very happy camper. =)
We ventured into Waikiki and had a lovely lunch from an incredibly
supportive and easy to work kitchen manager, Marck, from the cheesecake
factory. (We also found out that they recently opened an outback in the same
neighborhood fyi.) I had a great salad made to order - and it was delicious.
Its much easier to go with the flow when one's belly is full. =)

Highlights from respondents:
-Bring all your own stuff, don't count on anyone else ... my response, 1
-yes, well, I seriously get that now, if I didn't before 2 - unexpectedly
they made us leave all our fruit/veggies stuff on the plane which cut out a
bunch of the back up food so I'm pretty much left with enjoy life rice bars
and cookies ... not an every day food or else I'll get sick (and my mom said
she called to find out if we could pack food on the plane too), so I'll
stick to my first response
-Check out restaurants etc. beforehand ... my response, again, true, but
limited given time differences and working way too much and never having had
this hard of a time in a new place before, in the future I don't see how I
could manage without making those key calls ahead of time (if nothing else
to plan for the first few meals) - very practical idea
-Speak up when people who count aren't understanding what you need, and
don't give up on them even when you have to tell them every day or every
meal, but make them understand, and don't be afraid to get mad at them when
they really blow it ... this one gets me, because its not like I went to
school to figure out what I could and couldn't eat, I literally have a list
(which I know is long, because plenty of responses suggested foods that I
stated I couldn't have, and we're the ones who are always on the lookout)

Hugs to those of you who sent them to me. =) Your warm and timely responses
made my day.
Practical Oahu suggestions are encouraged. And just so I'm clear (because
people asked about this too) my just about complete"no" list is: gluten,
soy, corn, dairy, orange, sugar, seafood, red meat)!

Thank you again
El in Hawaii ... of Boston

*******
*******