From:
Kimberlee Tandy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kimberlee Tandy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2006 17:08:34 -0500

Thanks to all of you who responded with kind words, websites and recipes.

Here are some of the things I learned.
  a.. You can substitute oil for melted margarine in most recipes.  I did it in a biscuit recipe and in "Chex mix" and it worked great.
  b.. You can substite Rice milk (careful about the brand), Almond Breeze or coconut milk for regular milk in most recipes.  I did this successfully with both gluten free rice milk and almond milk.
  c.. You can substitute coconut oil (shortening) for shortening and butter in most recipes.  I did it in a cookie recipe and it was terrific.  It does not add coconut flavor to the end product.
  d.. You can also substitute nut butters for butter in some recipes.  I have not tried this.
  e.. There are several gluten free, soy free, dairy free margarines and shortenings on the market including Spectrum Naturals Organic All Vegetable Shortening, Fleishman's Light and Unsalted...none of which are available in my area.
  f.. One person said...My nutritionist suggested that I take butter and heat it up.  Let it sit and the solids will settle to the bottom of the pan.  The clear yellow liquid is called "ghee" and is nothing but fat - no proteins or sugars.  I use it in my baking and cooking with no problem.
Here are some suggestions and recipes from other people...
  a.. Easy cookie recipe is to mix a cup of peanut butter, 1 cup sugar and 2 eggs.  Mix this up and bake spoonfuls at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.  Very easy and delicious if you like peanut butter.
  b.. Muffins are pretty forgiving (hard to stuff up) and they're pretty quick
  and easy to cook, which is important because g/f flours bake better at
  lower temperatures and in smaller quantities (ie muffins rather than
  large cakes, and small loaves of bread rather than big).   The egg content helps them bind well, and if you add a little grated
  apple to the recipe, you don't need vegetable gums.
  c.. "Cooking Free" by Carol Fenster
  d.. Since your baby can't tolerate dairy, you might want to investigate a naturally high vitamin casein and lactose/free butter oil for your consumption that is available from one rancher in Nebraska.  He keeps his cows on rapidly growing green grass all summer and the butter oil has special factors in it that only appear when the cows are eating rapidly growing green grass on fertile soils.  People all over the world have recognized for centuries that these factors are vital for infant and child health and for reproducing parents.  The rancher centrifuges the cream to remove the milk solids including casein and lactose and it is meant to be consumed along with cod liver oil at the same time.  (Note: The cod liver oil that the rancher has chosen to carry is easy to consume compared to other cod liver oils and the natural vitamins in the oil have had the contaminants removed and then those natural vitamins are returned to the oil.  The oil is preserved with rosemary oil which is a natural preservative.  Most major brands of widely acclaimed cod liver oil remove the contaminants and since the vitamins come out with the contaminants they just put in artificial vitamins instead and use an artificial preservative. )  The website is www.greenpasture.org   It's not cheap but the daily dosages are small and in the long run this is not an unreasonably expensive option.
  e.. WITH EACH MEAL take one probiotics complex and one l-glutamine.  This heals the gut and does away ...usually...dairy allergies in about 3 or 4 months.  a gf
  diet alone can take 5 years.  My nutritionist suggested this and it sure worked quickly for me.  IN the meantime, of course, stay off cow's milk
  products...use goat's milk instead.  It is naturally lactose free.
  f.. Namaste spice cake mix, and other Namaste mixes are wonderful my fav!!  I use the same amount that the recipe calls for.  I have converted almost every recipe with these substitutes and they taste great, and bake up just about the same.
  g.. Another thing that has helped me also is Allergy Associates of LaCross WI!!!  They are the best as far as finding allergies in the blood, and the also test for non-traditional symptoms.  It's similiar to the serum they put in allergy shots, but it's just an antigen drop that goes under the tongue.  For infants they can put the drops on the wrist if it's too hard to put under the tongue.  The idea is that it goes directly into the blood stream in those spots.  The drops help to build up immunity to the allergen, so if you accidentally do have something, or temptation gets the best of you, it won't be as bad of a reaction. I see DR Mary Morris, she is very gentle, and I think she would work very well with your child.  Their phone # is 800-950-9740, and their web site is www.allergyassociatesoflacrosse.com
  h.. Lydia's Organics, makes a line of gluten free, milk free, soy free products that are filling. also Gluten Free Pantry makes a muffin scone mix that can be made soy/lactose free (use orange juce and apple sauce to replace the butter and milk), Glutino also makes a line flax crakers, and Tinkyada makes a line of gluren free, soy free, casein free pasta.
  i.. As for recipes, I have just discovered stuffed zucchini.  It comes from a cookbook by Theresa Santandrea-Cull called No Wheat?  No Way! Gluten-Free Recipes You've Been Waiting For (Kid Approved & Milk Free).

  Stuffed Zucchini

  Slice 2 zucchinis in half lengthwise.  Core out a little bit of the seeds and stuff with the following:

  In a small bowl, combine the following until bread crumbs are wet:

  ½ cup bread crumbs (this can be made from rice crackers or stale left-over rice bread chopped finely in a blender)  .I use Kinnikinnick bread for this

       1 teaspoon olive oil

       1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

       1 clove finely chopped garlic

       Salt and pepper to taste

  Use more olive oil if a wetter stuffing is desired.  Spread on halved zucchini and bake in a covered casserole dish.  Bake at 350 degreesF for 1 hour.

  You can use this recipe to stuff just about anything really.

  j.. In most recipes (except crisp cookies) you can substitute liquid vegetable oil for shortening/butter/margarine.  Just use 1/4 to 1/3 less....1 c goes to 2/3, 1/3 goes to 1/4.... Use corn, sunflower (if you can find it), or olive oil.

  Can't do without a solid one? Use natural coconut oil.

  k.. White Bean Hummus (I also add garlic, but not if you are breastfeeding)

  1 can white kidney beans or use kidney beans soaked overnight and
  cooked.
  3 T lemon juice
  2 T tahini (sesame seed spread)
  ¼  cup olive oil
  ¼ cup water
  Pinch cayenne (optional)
  ½  t salt - if I use canned beans I don't add salt
  Blend.

  Almond/cashew Tahini Spread

  1 cup blanched almonds or cashews
  1 cup tahini
  10T lemon (½ cup + 2T)
  4 cloves garlic, crushed
  ¾  cup water
  ½  t salt
  ½ t dried coriander
  1 T soy sauce
  2 T olive oil

  Blend almonds.  Add tahini, lemon, garlic, water and salt and blend into
  a paste.

Here are some of the suggested websites for more information, products and recipes.
www.gfcf.com
http://www.ener-g.com/
http://www.glutenevolution.com/
http://www.recipenet.org/health/articles/substitutions.htm
http://www.missroben.com/
http://www.vances.com/
www.therubyrange.com.
www.allrecipes.com
www.chickenparadise.com
http://www.kinnikinnick.com/
www.shopbydiet.com
www.CanaryConnect.com
www.austinscdfriends.com
www.pecanbread.com
www.sillyyakbakery.com
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com
www.mrritts.com .
www.gfbooks.homestead.com/menus.html .

Thanks again for all your help, suggestions, recipes and support.  It is getting easier to make food now!

Kimberlee