From:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 13:19:26 -0700

I just got back from Kauai and had some tidbits to share.

1st of all, I bought the soy sauce packets from
http://www.kitch-n-kaffe.safeshopper.com/ and this was a great help.  I
keep these packets in my purse, car, etc. for last minute sushi or just
to put on rice.  This came in handy in Kauai.

Koloa near Poipu has a new health food store and it was stocked with all
the standard gluten-free items you would want.  Anywhere from pancake
mix, soy sauce, frozen pizzas, to cereal, cookies, etc.  They've been
open 9 months.  I was very excited, because there was nothing like that
close to the south shore.  Here's the new store:

Koloa Natural Foods
5356 Koloa Rd # 9 (close to the Chevron station on the corner)
Koloa, HI
(808) 742-8910
Hours 10am to 8pm 7 days a week
Store Manager (Jerin Shiba)

We ate once at the Blossoming Lotus's Juice bar and bakery.  It's a
vegan bakery.  They had excellent smoothies and several baked items with
not gluten-containing ingredients.  I don't know what their baking
practices were, but I did tell them that if they were to make the
gluten-free items on dedicated areas, that they would have a whole new
clientele.  The things we had were a little "strange", but very, very
tasty.

Hours: 7:00 am - 6:00 pm, seven days a week
4-1384 Kuhio Hwy
Kauai, HI 96746
1-808-823-6658

They also have a restaurant around the corner that we didn't get to.
Check out their web-site at:

www.blossominglotus.com

We hit the farmer's market, which was great.  The fruit was fresh and
delicious and much more economically priced than the local stores.  This
is the farmer's market we went to:

Monday 12:0 noon at Koloa Ball Park, Maluhia Rd. (Ann Knudsen Park)
(Bring plastic grocery bags)

There are more listed in the archives.

There are two other health food stores.

Papaya's Natural Foods & Café (East Shore)
4-831 Kuhio Hwy
Kapa'a, Kauai
808/823-0190
(Same shopping center as Safeway)

Papaya's Natural Foods & Café (North Shore)
5-5161 Kuhio Hwy
Hanalei, HI
(808) 826-0089

I'm always glad when there's a health food store around and I don't like
to talk negative, but I have to say that last year when we went to
Kauai, the Papaya's in Kapa'a was not well stocked with everyday gf
items.  The one on the north shore was stocked a little better.  I was
disappointed enough that I didn't even go this time.  I ordered some
items from Kinnikinnick and had them shipped (it came very late).  Had I
known about the store in Koloa, I wouldn't have had to do that.

In the archives, everyone raves about Keoki's.  We didn't go last year,
but had to try it out this year.  When we went they said how it was such
a coincidence that they had someone in their with celiac just 3 days
before.  They were great and very accommodating.

Lastly, we ate a lot of fresh fish.  There's a local place in Koloa that
has great fish and a wonderful kalua pig lunch plate.  Don’t' know the
name or address, but it's on the main drag and has a "lunch plate" sign
out front.  Later in our trip we discovered the Fish Express in Lihue.
A larger selection of fresh fish and also lunch plates.  Their kalua pig
was awesome.  They had a lot of grilled fish lunch plates, but we
regrettably didn't try it.  Here's their address:

Fish Express
3343 Kuhio Hwy # 10
Lihue, HI
(808) 245-9918

Thanks for letting me go on.  Aloha!  Sidona