From:
cheryl in colorado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
cheryl in colorado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 12:07:11 -0700

I have had numerous requests asking for Monica's Tortilla recipe after
announcing her class here in Denver, CO.  She has given me permission to
post the recipe so I will ask you to respect that and give her full
credit if you share it.  You will have to purchase the Deby's GF Biscuit
Mix from her website in order to use this recipe.  These are hands down,
the best GF tortillas I have ever made or tasted.  They will not crumble
or break when bent.

Cheryl in Colorado

Just Like Wheat Tortilla Recipe
Developed by Monica Poole of Deby's Gluten Free
www.debysglutenfree.net (.com works too)

Ingredients:
2 cups tapioca flour
1 cup Deby's GF biscuit mix
2 TBL shortening
2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 cup milk or soy milk

-separate for rolling-1/2 cup asian sweet rice flour

Directions:

Combine dry ingredients except rice flour into a bowl.  Add 1/2 cup of
milk or soy milk.  Stir milk and flour together, blending well.  Mix
will be somewhat moist, but not runny.

Sprinkle sweet rice flour liberally on a flat surface and knead dough to
a smooth ball.  Completely wrap in plastic wrap and let rest for about
an hour.

Remove from plastic.  Divide into 10-12 portions and roll into balls.
The less balls you make, the thicker the tortillas will be.  Cover them
with a damp cloth to keep them from drying out while rolling.

Liberally sprinkle wooden cutting board or counter with sweet rice
flour.  Roll each ball of dough to a 10 inch round. Wood will release
the dough easily, use wax paper or plastic if it sticks to your
counter.  You can also use a tortilla press to start the flattening
process.  Use a rolling pin to make a very flat and smooth tortilla.
Cut into a circle with a knife by hand, or use a cooking pan lid that is
the desired diameter, like you would a cookie cutter.

If not cooking tortillas immediately, stack with wax paper or plastic in
between the tortillas and store in an airtight container or baggie.
Caution- leaving dough or tortillas exposed to the air will very quickly
dry them out.

Cook on a hot surface for about 30 seconds on each side.  Use
immediately, or store in a tightly sealed plastic bag.

Reheat on a hot surface.  DO NOT MICROWAVE.  Keep unused tortillas in a
sealed plastic bag in the refrigerator.

These tortillas are the best!  They fold and roll like wheat without
cracking or crumbling.  If you share this recipe, please give credit to
Monica and don't forget the web site so the user can order the biscuit mix.