Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2005 11:31:37 EST

Hello Listmates,

I have a few questions for celiac college students and their parents. As the
parent of a celiac teenager with multiple dietary restrictions who has not yet
begun a formal college search (10th grader), I was wondering how accomodating
different colleges are to students with special diets. Did your school allow
you to opt out of their meal plan? Most schools I know of usually require
freshmen to live in dorms. Do the dorms have kitchens where students can prepare
their own food? If you are on a meal plan, has the school worked with you to
identify foods that are prepared gf and safe to eat? Is there a health food
store near campus that carries gf food?  How easy or difficult would you say it
has been to maintain the gf diet at your college? Would you recommend it for
other celiacs? Any other info or advice you can offer to teens with celiac who
are beginning the college search?

Many thanks! I will summarize.

Susan in CT