From:
"Theriault, Kim" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Theriault, Kim
Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 14:25:11 -0500

Thank you all for your replies--they have been very helpful!

I have been asked to share information regarding original inquiry as many others have similar symptoms. There is more information than I am posting. For instance, a number of people suggested particular diets, but they contained foods I noted I was allergic to.

I do want to stress that MOST respondents suggested that dairy be eliminated, which I have already done, but it may make sense for anyone with similar problems.

A number of individuals have been frustrated with the GF diet. Many have been working with nutritionists, which may be useful for me.

There is some inconsistency amongst the respondents as to how often one should eat to deal with the hypoglycemia (some every 3 hours, others no less than 5 hours between meals), but the timespan and spikes seem to improve when sugars and carbs are eliminated or reduced (which I have find often to be true). One person suggested trying the Mead Johnson liquid diet because it is easy to absorb. Another drank mainly glucerna shakes during the day and ate only one meal--and although this lasted for 10 months, it was the best the individual had ever felt.

 A number of people suggested only eating fresh veggies and plain meat, which I used to do, but lost too much weight and had crashes in my blood sugar. I recently tried using rice and sugars again, but this may be a problem and may have heightened the fuzzy headedness (although the sugar makes me less fatigued).

 A few people suggested the Specific Carbohydrate Diet http://www.scdiet.org/ by Elaine Goodall saying: "see www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info

"This is a gluten free diet but it's more than gluten free.  It focuses on the specific sugars and starches in grains including rice and other foods.  If your gut is still not healed it may not be breaking down these carbohydrates, causing fermentation and it's byproducts in your gut, and producing inflammation."

This makes sense since I seem to have increased bad breath which would be caused by fermentation.

A number of people suggested it could be LEAKY GUT SYNDROME, which I had, but admittedly I have gone on and off GF a number of times and so likely reinjured. Her well-educated nutritionist "recommends that you take WITH EACH MEAL...ONE PROBITOICS COMPLEX AND
ONE L-GLUTAMINE....a gf diet alone takes 4 or 5 years to heal the gut.  This
does it in 4 months, altho you start to feel better within days."

(I have begun this--I had only been doing it once a day-- and it seems to be making a difference as may be some supplements like fish oil--to try to restore the brain connectors--that my alternative medicine MD has prescribed)

A number of people recommended paying close attention to the foods one ingests and the feelings afterward. Many reiterated the importance of keeping a food diary and rotating foods so as not to repeat every 4 days--which I have not done in a while since my friend who originally told me about Celiac suggested I do it. This seems like a good idea since I tend to repeat the same foods a lot.

Most respondents believe one should stay away from processed foods.

Please note that I VERY much appreciate these responses because no one in my family believes Celiacs exists (to them, it's just blood sugar--well, DUH, the imbalance is caused by SOMETHING--this is like all of the dermatologists who insisted that food allergies could not give me acne, so they gave me antibiotics for years, but it has subsided with GF and dairy free--forgive my anger, but all of those antibiotics must have wreaked havoc on my stomach and certainly caused premature aging).