From:
Mary Ann Coyle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Ann Coyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 22:09:25 -0400

I have had several replies from people who have also had positive experiences at the Frederick Outback.  Others agree that Outback is a generally a good choice for gluten free dining.  However, several indicate that even at generally celiac friendly restaurants, even at Outback, there can be problems, including insensitive staff who ignore requests.  Constant vigilance is the rule.

One respondent suggested that I submit my comments directly to Outback through their website.

One respondent asked what restaurant card I used.  It was the one from Columbia University Celiac Disease Center:  http://www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.edu/CF-HOME.htm.  The card is sold through their Online Store.  I find this card particularly effective because people are impressed by the association with Columbia University and therefore, in my experience, take my requests more seriously.  Some cards are longer and more detailed, but this one works well for me.

There are also interesting cards written specifically for particular cuisines in the appropriate languages available at http://google.triumphdining.com/.

I have also found cards at http://www.celiactravel.com/restaurant-cards.html

http://www.selectwisely.com/selectwisely/content_pages/order_cards.htm offers cards for different types of food allergies and intolerances in combinations of languages.  They also have a gluten free card that can be requested in multiple languages.

The Celiac Sprue Association also sells a dining card in their online store at http://www.csaceliacs.org/cgi-bin/store/store.cgi?loc=10,0,0,0&ref=details&prodid=469.

The Gluten Free Pantry (http://www.glutenfree.com/celiac.htm) has a very detailed restaurant card on their website.

Mary Ann