From:
Jos Underhill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jos Underhill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 00:31:56 +0100

Thanks for all your responses, I'm sure I'll have a great
time. It looks as though I'll be better off in Vancouver
than here! Apologies for the delay in summarizing and not
replying to individuals but I have been ill recently and
sorry if some of the information is duplicated, I haven't
been able to go through it properly yet but thought I'd
better get this done.

1. There are lots of gluten free resources in Vancouver.
Please check the summary post
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind0509A&L=celiac
&P=R4278 and http://www.penny.ca/BC.htm and
http://celiac.wikicities.com/wiki/Talk:Main_Page#BC.2C_Vanco
uver  All Safeway and Save On Foods (large grocery chains)
both have sections that focus on health and gluten free
foods - ready made, frozen and mixes for baking. Also IGA
Marketplace carries some. Most 'Natural Food Stores' have
gluten free products. Choices Market has a gluten free
bakery - their products are available in their stores more
than at the bakery itself. I couldn't find their site but I
did find a list of their stores at this link:
http://www.discovervancouver.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16
143 If on 'The Drive' ie Commercial Drive, I eat at Juicy
Lucys (I always have the Nori wrap and a fresh squeezed
juice). Fresh food and economical. http://vegetarian-
restaurants.net/Canada/Vancouver.htm The Canadian Celiacs
Associations site is http://www.celiac.ca/elinks.html
Vegetarian Guide - but watch for cross contamination
http://vegetarian-restaurants.net/Canada/Vancouver.htm
Search the St. John's archives - many products available in
the US are also in Canada like Nature's Path GF cereals.
Kinniikinnick is a gf Cdn manufacturer - their site is
http://www.goglutenfree.com/ I love their products. To
search St John's for more use this link:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=celiac There are
a lot of Chinese, Japanese, etc eateries - watch out for
the soy sauce - it will almost always contain wheat.

2. There's a completely gluten-free bakery in Vancouver:
http://www.pannerizo.com/ Their website also has a links
page that gives you more more places to buy GF.

Most major groceries carry some GF goods, and Canadian
companies seem quite good about clearly labeling things
that are GF (I'm American, but our GF family vacationed in
Vancouver last year)

I found several restaurants that understood the GF diet,
but none of them were vegetarian, so can't help you with
that.

The Granville Island market has loads of fresh food -
fruit, veggies, some cheese, and every other weekend a
vendor who makes GF Brazilian cheese rolls has a booth.

Here's a link to an info site for GF travel in the area:
http://www.penny.ca/BC.htm#victoria

3. One thing you can do if you go in the summer is pick
fruit on the island ... I Cdn ex-patriat living in the USA,
& we love to pick saskatoons at u-picks on Van Island.
(Yes, customs lets the fruit across ... at least the sask.
berries.)

4. Look up Canadain Celiac Associaiton and you will find
all sorts of information about dining and shopping in
Britisha Columba.  Go to Thrifty's and buy Kinnickinnick
sunflower flax bread.  Panne Riso in Vancouver is all
gluten free You can obtain gluten free beer in most BC
liquour outlets but call ahead to make sure they have it in
stock.  Also loook up on the net:  gluten free travel in
Canada.

5. Here is a summary of responses for traveling to
Vancouver and  Victoria:

_Panne Rizo _ (http://www.pannerizoricebreads.com/ Bakery
1939  Cornwall Ave. in Vancouver.  Tel: 604 736 0885.  This
bakery is  excellent and we have visited several times to
purchase breads and sweet  treats.

Barb gave the following website for gluten free traveling
in Canada: _http://www.penny.ca/BC.htm_
(http://www.penny.ca/BC.htm)    She noted there some errors
on the website, so please double check with the restaurant
or store you wish to visit on their location, etc.

From Grace: There is an excellent wheat free and gluten
free bakery named Mountain Top Cafe and Bakery in north
Vancouver, it is close to the sea bus on the Vancouver
side. They sell fresh made rice bread, rice muffins, rice
pies and lot of desserts made of rice flour. They also
provide gluten free dinner like rice noodle soup, panini
and different kinds of sandwiches made by themself. The
address is : 103-1124 Lonsdale Avenue. North Vancouver.
Their phone number  is: 604-960-9605.

From Lynn: In Victoria there is a pizza joint (not fancy at
all) that has gluten free pizza!  I just found it when I
was there touring. It's across from the harbor down a bit
away from the museum in the touristy part of town. Sorry I
don't know the name or address. They have a sign in the
window -- GLUTEN FREE  PIZZA.

From Mike: Thrifty Foods on the Island has a selection of
GF items. Lifestyles Markets on Douglas Street in Victoria
has an excellent selection of GF food and sometimes has
locally produced GF pizza from The Olive Grove
Restaurant...  Also "the Joint" on Wharf St. has GF pizza
(perhaps this is the restaurant Lynn referred to?),
Blighty's Bistro on Oak Bay Ave. will also prepare GF
meals... (We visited Lifestyles Markets and it was a great
place to shop for grocery items -- it happened to be a few
doors down from our hotel! We purchased bread, crackers,
etc. for our trip to the northern part of  the island.)