From:
Sharon McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sharon McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 08:07:06 -0800

I was wondering if anyone could explain why celiac seems to affect the neurologic system so dramatically.  I understand why it would cause the physiologic problems with the stomach, gut, etc. as I understand how it damages the villi and causes problems with digestion.  I am unclear why it affects things like the nervous system and emotoinal states.  I am not by any means saying that they don't, just wondering why it does and why in some people that reaction is so strong.  This came up because both my husband and I have reactions to gluten. I don't really get the full blown gut reactions that my husband does but I do get throat swelling and both of us definitely experience serious mood swings when we accidentally ingest gluten.  I think my cousin may have had this as well as she was schizophrenic and used to be a professional baker before she really started having problems.

Thanks,
Sharon

Yahoo! Photos