From:
Caulene Bussard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Caulene Bussard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Aug 2005 13:59:41 -0500

this summary is very delayed since I have been in and out all summer.
I originally wrote a message about being told i have low iron levels,
even though when i was first diagnosed 3 years ago, i was told my
iron was ok.

 *there are several tests for iron--at least 2 types of ferritin tests and
the standard hemoglobin CBC test.  A hemoglobin test can come
back completely normal while you are, at the same time, quite anemic
on a ferritin test.  One measures (ferritin) iron storage and the other
measures the iron in your blood (hemoglobin).  A good doctor would
measure both, however, most doctors only look at the hemoglobin.
The body uses stored iron to make the blood cells, whether there is a
shortage of stored iron or not.  In most people this is not
My hemotologist said that the testing that most doctors do re anemia
is negligent.  This is because, between menstrual periods and when
the body makes blood cells, a woman's iron count can vary greatly in
just a couple weeks if only a hemoglobin test is used.  If you get your
test at a time just before your period, it might look ok, and if you get the
test right after, you will be anemic.  Ferritin tests do not vary like this.
Always ask the doctor for a ferritin test

*There are several different iron tests.  I think the most comprehensive
measure is ferritin, because it includes iron stores as iron in the
blood.
 Another possibility may be differences in interpretation.  Several years
before I was actually diagnosed with CD my regular physician had my
iron tested as part of a routine physical and never questioned that my
iron level was hovering only slightly above the so-called minimum, but
a more knowledgeable physician later questioned that since there
was no reason for an otherwise healthy-looking young man to have
such low iron levels.

*another had the same experience - iron levels at first 12 when should
be 50 - 150 and later after going GF, they dropped to 11.
*another took iron pills for a long time and then suddenly, levels were
ok.
*another suggestion is that low iron levels can result from excessive
menstrual bleeding or from stomach ulcers (not my case)
*perhaps problem of iron non-absorption because of low acid or
deficiency in enzymes

Suggestions
*take iron supplements with vit C for better absorption
*pekoe tea may interfere with iron absoption
*B12 deficiency can affect anemia, therefore eat more red meat or take
dessicated liver
*can result from damaged villi, therefore try also omitting casein
  take aloe vera juice or MSM (?) to heal the gut