From:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:40:10 -0800

I've never tried it, but I've been told that you can use the Pampered Chef Large Mixing bowl The one that is an 8 cup measuring cup and bake it in the oven for the dolls dress. A member of our ROCK group is a pampered chef consultant, I will email her and ask if she knows how...Good Luck  Jonyce

Putting in my $.02 about the cake. I would generously grease the inside and sprinkle with Rice flour or something that will let the cake release very well. (I have never personally tried rice flour so I don't know if it wouldwork the same way regular flour does). I would also consider practicing it ahead of time with an extra egg added to the cake to see if it gave it a little more "heft". Personally, I think the fondant is an excellent idea if you are adept at it. Tried it once, that was difficult. Maybe the pour frosting would work also. My Mom puts Betty Crocker to shame and used to make us the Barbie cakes. In fact, her doll cakes were always the grand prize at the school cake walks. I am no where near her caliber so I called and asked her what she thought. The yellow cake mix from Miss Roben's will probably hold up fine but she suggested leaving the cake pan around the cake as it cools to keep the cake from drying out. She also suggested greasing the stem of the doll before you
 insert it into the cake. I think the Ninja Turtle cake would be much easier. In fact, pick a day and we can try one of these together. I'd also love to tackle the castle you suggested. Maybe two heads are better than one! Let me know if you want an accomplice =o).

I have made one of these cakes, but not since going gf. I use the Really Great Foods chocolate cake mix and it comes out great, so I figure any good gf cake recipe would work the way I did it. I did NOT use the shaped pan. I just made about 4 round cakes and then stacked and carved it to the shape of a skirt. I use Pillsbury ready made icing and I did frost between layers to keep them stuck together. You do have to refrigerate the cake or the icing will slip off if the house is warm. Homemade icing can be made to be thicker, but mine always turns out runny for some reason! Another trick with the actual "Barbie" in the cake is to wrap it in plastic wrap really well below the waist. It is impossible to get the food out of the joints! I went one step beyond that and actually put the saran-wrapped doll into an empty paper towel tube and taped around the waist. The doll stayed clean and stood up very well in the cake. You can also use a paper towel tube to cut into the middle of the cake
 to make the hole. You don't want the hole too big or the doll moves around too much. It helps if you cut the center hole before stacking the layers also. Anyhow, I hope that your cake plans turn out. If you do end up doing the barbie cake and you have other questions, then feel free to ask. I hope I covered all your questions.

God bless,  Mariann

So tonight while I was sitting through an extremely boring job hunting discussion group, I had an utterly brilliant <GBG> idea on how to make this cake. Now, as I am sure most GF bakers have learned, getting the middle of GF baked goods clear done before the outside dries out is tricky - something with a perfect exterior will often be soggy in the middle. So how about using a bombe pan? It makes a bowl shaped cake then you either use something like ice cream to fill the interior cavity or you use the inset that creates the cavity make a smaller cake and fill it in layer cake style. Here's one picture I found on-line to show you what I mean: http://fantes.com/images/120485-1ice_cream.jpg

I did make a Barbie Cake a hundred years ago, actually only about 25. I know I used a cake mix, not GF, pre Celiac days for my daughter, poured mix into greased medium sized Pyrex mixing bowl, you know the Red,geen and blue ones. Put it in the oven and tested it frequently with cake tester. Took it out of oven and flipped it over onto plate, removed bowl and let it cool, cut a hole down into the center deep enough to hold the doll, most likely used canned frosting, knowing my fondness for quick, decorated the frosted skirt with trim and rosettes using the star tip on my ancient metal frosting decorator thingie.

Bye for now, Jane

I made one a few years ago, but it was not gluten-free.  I just baked  it in a Pyrex bowl, greased & floured.  It was easy.  Then I just frosted with pink frosting.  I think we added MnMs to make it pretty.  My daughter wouldn't let me break off her Barbie's legs, so I had quite a time fitting the Barbie into the cake!  It was really fun to make!  Good luck, Peggy nh

here is a photo of the doll cake.  It doesn't matter really how you decorate it, but I do recommend using a real Barbie.  The little girls know the difference between a real doll and the cheap dollar store dolls.  It makes the cake look much nicer, too.  I let my daughter pick the doll and the colors of the "dress".  She loved it.  ~Mariann

"Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson