From:
Lee Ann Cruley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lee Ann Cruley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2005 17:21:30 -0500

Here's the summary for information about traveling to England and Paris:

England (2 replies):  The 2 major food stores in UK are Tesco and Sainsbury
and both carry a line called FREE FROM with excellent choices.
All grocery stores had GF sections.  Marks and Spencer had a reasonable
assortment.  Every restaurant (except one) was happy to accomodate diet-
some with signs about willingness to help with food allergies.  Many knew
about celiac and/or gluten free diet; if not, they were just more aware of
special diets in general and the need to be careful.

Things I have found on the internet to be most helpful:
Sainsbury has website with a gluten free list, locations, etc.
UK Coeliac Assoc. will send a gluten free food listing for about 11 pounds-
$20
.  It includes many grocery store brands as well as independent brands
A website called glutenfreedirectory.org.uk has a map of England (as well
as Ireland although I didnt access this one) that you can click on what
county you will be in and listings of restaurants come up that are GF
friendly.  Sometimes they list health food stores, hotels and  support
groups also, but mainly restaurants.

Paris (4 replies): Can easily find GF food in Paris in shops called La Vie
Claire, located around the city.  Pre-packaged foods are great-especially
Valpiform bread (2 slice packages).  Also flaky pastries.  Regular
supermarkets called Monoprix carry GF selections also.  Street vendors sell
all types of fresh fruit and vegetables.  One person said living and
shopping GF is easy.  Restaurants were accommodating with translation of
forbidden foods.  The following was sent to me but I'm not sure how current
the info is sin
ce I found it as well in the archives from 2003 and 2004:
Accommodating restaurants:
Le Reminet (3 rue des Grands-Degres); tel 04 11 07 04 25, book in advance,
wife with CD
Ma Salle a Manger (26 Place Douphin) on Isle de la Cite next to Palais de
Justice
Bistro de Papa (near Eifel Tower)-wonderful GF Poulet
La Coupole (in Montparnasse)
Stores offering GF packaged foods(in addition to La Vie Claire and Monoprix)
Naturalia
Rendez-vous de la Nature-health food store at 96 rue Mouffetart in the 5th
Tasty choices recommended by respondants:
Valpiform Pain Champagnard (5 lg slices of country style bread)
Glutabyte Delicieux Framboise (indiv wrapped flaky pastry with jam)
Website of Association Francaise de Intolerants au Gluten:
www.afdiag.org Tel 33 1 43 47 0447

I have discovered the following places to get French translated GF dining
cards:
Website: www.celiactravel.com
(free printable cards in many languages)
Peter Jax Lowell's book "Against the Grain" has cards in different languages
A Canadian company also sells French dining cards but I can't find it now.
I think they advertise on listserve on the 1st of the month.

Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to reply!  The listserve is a
great service.  Hats off to those who maintain it. Sorry it took me
awhile.  I'm not only planning for our trip but also my daugters graduation
and party next week and 5 days after we leave.  Thanks again.