From:
Clare Scheffer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Clare Scheffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:40:48 -0700

I wish to thank those who replied to me with suggestions about where to eat
or buy gluten free in Flagstaff, Arizona especially around Northern Arizona
University.  Here's my summary of replies I received:

-----------------------
There is a health food store on the main highway, but I found the Basha's
grocery store in town (pretty close to the University) to have a great
selection of gluten free foods.  They had everything that I usually needed,
including Tinkyada pasta.
-----------------------
New Frontiers Natural Marketplace
1000 South Milton Road, Flagstaff, AZ 86001
(928) 774-5747

This store is right off campus from NAU (north site) and has a pretty good
supply of gf items last time I was there.  There is also a Fry's grocery
store in town with a health/natural food section--these stores in the
Phoenix area all carry a small amount of gf items so might have something.
A fast food place that my family likes is Del Taco (deltaco.com).  My celiac
son always gets the chicken tacos with a crispy (corn) shell or the spicy
bean burrito (without spice) on a plate and a couple of soft corn tortillas.
Del Taco is right cross from the south entrance of NAU.  It seems to me that
someone on the Phoenix Celiac list had done research on the seasonings at
Del Taco.
-----------------------
There's a good health food store right by the campus, New Frontiers Natural
Foods, 1000 S. Milton Rd., Flagstaff, AZ 86001-6304, phone 928-774-5747.
There's another branch of the store in Sedona, if you decide to go
exploring. I was in Flagstaff ... I don't remember which restaurants I ate
at--I believe one was Thai and the other Indian, both foods that tend to be
safer than some others (I'm also vegetarian, so I look for places with a
good veg choice, then look to see how feasible a gf meal is).
-----------------------
I also received the following suggestion about restaurant food cards:

If you're having trouble finding a gluten free restaurant, check out
www.triumphdining.com for some excellent dining cards. I'm not usually a
dining card fan, but these really go above and beyond to clearly explain the
important points and nuances of our diet.

The cards are available covering six global cuisines, and are customized to
cover the unique pitfalls of each cuisine. You should be able to use them to
eat almost anywhere you want, whether the restaurant is already familiar
with the gluten free diet or not.

The company hasn't officially launched yet, so the site  needs a few last
minute touches (like text edits), but it is living and taking orders.

Thanks for all your help!
Clare
Arlington, WA