From:
"Richard L. Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard L. Paul
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:36:12 -0400

Thanks all for your thoughts about Ener-G Tapioca Bread.  I received a wide
variety of posts -- from people saying "it couldn't possibly be the tapioca"
to people saying "it's definitely the tapioca."

Below are the highlights of what people said, broken down in categories.

Thanks,
RP
IT'S NOT THE TAPIOCA THAT'S DOING IT

- Tapioca is Harmless.  Check other ingredients in the mix

-Tapioca/Cassava is from the ROOT of a cactus that grows in the tropics.
It's definitely not a grain!
IT IS THE TAPIOCA THAT'S DOING IT

-I have made bread a few times with tapioca as one of the flours in a
mixture and invariably have ended up with horrible gas. This does not happen
with rice flours or even lots of sugar, so, it is the tapioca doing it to
me, and maybe it really is the tapioca that is doing it to you as well.

-I've met 3 people in the Milwaukee area who don't tolerate Tapioca

-I found after going gluten free that I react to tapioca, so it is possible
to have problems with that.  I get headaches and my face breaks out as well
as some stomach distress.

-I have heard of people that also react to tapioca and some of the other
plant from the  grass family.  I myself react to buckwheat and sorghum
flours.  I also have a gluten type reaction from them as you are describing.
I also sometimes think that I may be sensitive to tapioca flour because if I
bake anything gluten free I tend to have that "bloated" feeling after eating
it.  I try to stay away from eating the starchy baked goods and breads all
together.

-I can eat tapioca only occasionally, whether as bread or pudding.  If I eat
it too often, I get nauseated and my digestion gets bogged down.
------------------------
PEOPLE WHO ALSO REACTED TO EATING THAT BRAND OF BREAD - DON'T KNOW WHY

-my daughter has been eating the EnerG Tapioca Bread for a few days and her
behavioral symptoms have all come back (she's 8)

-I quit eating that bread as I was reacting to it. I don't think it is a
gluten reaction, though. The package would have droplets of moisture inside,
that were not controlled by the little moisture eating packet. I think that
bacteria grew inside the package, and caused my reaction.

-I just tried the bread you mention last week.  I too noticed a small
reaction from the two slices that I had
YOU'RE REACTING TO THE GUAR GUM IN THE BREAD

-I had a similar reaction to the same bread.  I noticed that it has guar gum
in it which I react to so maybe this is also a problem.

-if you are having some stomach distress, check to see if the bread has
methocelulose (sp?) or guar gum.  Either have given me bowel distress at
some point in the past but not so much lately.

-The bread contains guar gum, which many people find has laxative
properties. If your only reaction is diarrhea, it could be the gum.