From:
Joanie Connell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joanie Connell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:35:26 -0800

A lot of people responded.  Everyone who went through early menopause was undiagnosed at the time.  It seems that going GF may help if you do it in time.

Respondents said that perimenopause started at:
41 (also has diabetes)
40
32 (fibromyalgia at age 35 or 36)
40 (stopped mensing for 7-10 yrs, went GF, had monthly for 1 yr, then stopped at 50)
40
mid to late 40s
41 (but may have been thyroid problem)
late 30s (and infertility)
no menopause before 48, but had fibroids and infertility
early 30s
34
42
Before I was diagnosed, my hormones were almost at the stage of menopause
and I was only 29.  Things have cleared up since then.

I have experience with an incorrect diagnosis of "early menopause." At age 41
I was having a whole slew of symptoms, hot flashes, night sweats, insomina,
fatigue, switching from extreme periods to minor periods, etc, that my doctor
couldn't figure out. I was also having recurrent ovarian cysts - one of which
required major surgery to deal with. So my combined doctors' best guess was
early menopause. Then they found out I was vitamin B12 deficient - extreme
high dose B12 cured 80% of the "early menopause" problems. Then I was
diagnosed as gluten intolerant - after 6 months on a GF diet, the rest of the
symptoms went away.

I recommend a book called "The Change Before the Change" - it explains quite a
lot about nutritional problems mimicking menopause.

Scott Adams' Scott Free magazine has an article that says menopause can be 4-5
years early in undiagnosed celiacs.  http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=785&sid=91hH9H1EK2n43RW-14105333502.05

And one late menopause.