From:
Kelley Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelley Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:55:11 -0600

Does anyone on this list have experience being pregnant and not gaining much
weight at all?

My doctor doesn't seem to be concerned, but I lost 15 pounds in the first 10
to 14 weeks and have only gained back about 5 or 6.  (I wasn't trying to
diet, just had lots of nausea, vomiting - much worse than in first
pregnancy, long before hearing of celiac disease - most foods seemed really
disgusting, etc.)  I am now 24-1/2  weeks pregnant.  I have been eating
plenty of good calories for the last several weeks, I think.  Could my body
be resisting weight gain more stubbornly now than before going g-f?  Seems
to go against conventional thought about the disease, but I had fought 15-20
extra pounds for years, especially around midsection, which I always
attributed to my autoimmune thyroid disease before learning about celiac
last year.

I'm not a diagnosed celiac, but my son is. I may do a gluten challenge next
year, but since about 8 wks pregnant, have been on a strictly g-f diet, out
of concern gluten might be causing my body to deprive the embryo/fetus of
nutrients.

Thanks for any feedback/experiences you can relate.

Kelley

Nashville, TN