Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:44:39 -0800

Hi listmates, know I am very tardy on this, stuff happens, time flies.  I
got many responses.

1 said the coloring agent they use on farm fed fish is ground chrysanthemum
flowers, is gluten free, and totally natural.  She was told this by a person
who does fish farm research (PhD) (quote onquote)

1 said farm raised salmon, do a google search, it will curl your hair.  They
said it is awful stuff, that it is not allowed to be canned, all canned
salmon is from the northwest.  Dr. Andrew Weil says only to eat Alaskan wild
salmon (all quote unquote)

3 said they feed farm fed fish soy based pellets with artificial coloring -
not a good choice (all quote unquote)

1 said farm fed salmon are fed with grains, not like wild shrimp, they lack
the omega 3, they are white, that's why they have to dye them (quoted)

Several people said they eat only wild caught salmon, also that the best
fish to eat is wild from the Atlantic Ocean

Someone said in farm-fed fish, they add barley to the pond to prevent algae
but when I discussed this further with someone else they said that was
"urban legend"; it came to the net years ago and after researching it was
not true.

Many people said that farm-fed fish has made them sick in some form or
another in the past and they have to be very careful which brands they buy,
didn't name any specific ones.  Someone said Trader Joe's is very good for
flash frozen vacumn sealed fish.  I can get the same at Whole Foods too.
Others quote incidents where they ate farm-fed fish in a restaurant that was
supposed to be gluten free and got sick anyway, but there are too many
variables for those inputs to be discussed.

Another had read an article in the newspaper about salmon being high in PCPs
from run off from the land re fire retardants that they used to put out
fires - I don't know what area they lived in.

I personally now have tried again the wild salmon, I wash it, and use lots
of lemon and garlic for antibiotic purposes as well as flavoring and have
not become ill.  I have yet to give farm fed salmon another try.

Ciao,

Dorina, near Galveston, TX