From:
Laura Horvath <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Horvath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:41:44 -0500

PART 1 of 2
THANK YOU to everyone who responded to my call for help for a GF
Thanksgiving.  I appreciate all the great information you've shared.  I've
has a LOT of requests to share this info so I've summarized all the

*******
TURKEYS - Below are some of the brands folks say are GF (but please always
check yourself and NEVER use the gravy pack if they are included)
- Empire Kosher Frozen Turkeys ( 4 responded)
- Suggest special ordering from health food store like Whole Foods (1)
- Butterball (2)
- Honeysuckle (2)
- Perdue (1)
- Norbest - www.norbest.com to see GF statement (1)
- Shadybrook Farms -  WWW.SHADYBROOKFARMS.COM to see GF statement (1)
- Tyson (1 response - not positive so check)
****
Thanksgiving dinner doesn't really need much altering except for a few
things. Others will give you gf recipe sources.  I often use regular
cookbooks or search epicurious.com and come up with my own substitutions.
Last year  I made gravy with cornstarch instead of of flour.  Pumpkin pie
crust is made with crushed gf ginger cookies and melted butter (Bette
Hagman's books have these recipe ideas). I made  rice/sausage stuffing
instead of bread.  We made twice baked yams with marshmallows on top--a
recipe that I got from the Sunday newspaper magazine.  I also made a
coconut custard pie  (which is naturally gf except for the crust) with a
gf pie crust mix for the crust.
 For other baked goods, someone turned me on to Wendy Wark's gf flour
mix.  I have used this as a 1:1 substitution for wheat flour with  a
little added xanthum gum.   Just today I made buttermilk pancakes from
"Joy of Cooking"  with this and they were the best pancakes I ever made.
I also use this to make toll house cookies by following the recipe on the
back of the choc. chip bag.    I can't keep them in the house!
1C brown rice flour
1 1/4 C white rice flour
1/4 C potato starch flour
2/3 C tapioca starch flour
1/3 C cornstarch
2 tsp xanthum or guar gum
****
There are many GF turkeys out there and I'm sure you'll get many emails
telling you brands (ie. Butterball).  The reason I'm writing you is to
give you the name of a company in Canada that makes GF stuffing.  It took
me years to find one.  It tastes just like Stove Top or Mrs. Cubison's.
Their name is El Peto and the # is (800) 387-4064 X29.  With the new
anti-terrorist shipping laws, you would have to order it about 2 weeks
before you need it.  It comes in a bag and lasts at least a year, so get
extra for Christmas.  It doesn't have any directions on it, so here are
mine after trial and error:
¾ C. melted butter (add more if too dry)
1-2 C. chicken stock/broth (Swansons is fine) - start w/ 1 C. & add to
desired consistency if you like soft or crispy
salt to taste
1 C. chopped onions (but I love onions)
1 C. chopped celery (or less if kids don't like it)
Mix & put in a buttered rectangular casserole dish & bake at 350 degrees
for about 40 minutes.  Can do the night before and reheat next day in oven
or microwave.
Another thing I do to add texture is make a GF cornbread and put it in the
frig 1-2 days before I want to make the stuffing.  I used Dietary
Specialties Cornbread mix last year, but I'm sure you can do another
brand.  With this brand, there's a recipe on the side of that package for
stuffing, but by itself it was too corny and mushy tasting.  The notes I
wrote on their recipe are the following:   add 1 C. broth, not ½, & don't
put in the two beaten eggs (do one or none) - it just makes it like mushy
bread. Without the eggs, it is more dry, which is good for stuffing.
After I made the bread in advance, I broke it up with my hands and tossed
it in with the El Peto recipe above and baked for 40 minutes.  The family
loved it.  Note:  I don't have time to cook and I microwave whenever
possible, so if I can do this, anyone can!
For pie, you can order GF pie crusts from any of the vendors (write me
back if you need their names), but you can make a crustless pumpkin pie.
On the can of Libby's pumpkin is a recipe or the (800) # to call - it's
almost the same as making a real pie.  It comes out just like the regular
ones.  RediWhip whip cream (red lid) in the aerosol can in the frig
section is GF, too.
Mashed potatoes are OK of course, but I'll try to find a recipe for gravy
from my mother-in-law.  I think last year I bought a GF gravy from one of
the vendors and the kids just thought it was so-so, but if you get a good
idea for one let me know.
******
I've found a fresh turkey is so much better than frozen and they're not
processed.  I buy the biggest fresh turkey breast I can find because we
both prefer white meat.
I make my mother's corn pudding and just substitute the crackers with
crushed corn flakes.
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can cream style (gf) corn
2 eggs, beaten
about 3/4 cup crushed corn flakes
about 3/4 cup milk
2 tsp. sugar
Mix together and put in buttered casserole and bake at 350 until puffed
and brown.
Last year I bought a crock pot (hadn't had one in 20 years) and baked my
dressing in it - it was so good - you start it out on high for about an
hour and then turn in on low.  I couldn't believe it but it was crispy on
the outside.  (I bake my own cornbread a week or so ahead - break it up in
pieces and freeze it)  I also add a few cups of gf bread broken up.
Good luck.
p.s.  I've found that a mixture of sweet rice flour and a little corn
starch makes better gravy.
******
I would recomment the Bette Hagman pop-over rolls found in her cookbooks.
Her french bread recipe is also very good.
******
Look for a turkey that is minimally processed, with no added
ingredients (i.e. - avoid the self-basting turkies)
Thicken your gravy with cornstarch or a roux of sweet rice flour &
pan drippings.
If you like stuffing, try using a GF cornbread for the base, or rice,
instead of bread cubes.
Sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, veggie side dishes, cranberry
sauce... All of these are GF and with Turkey & gravy, who needs that
wheat roll to get full?
For dessert, you can make a pumpkin pudding - the filling w/o crust,
and it's great with whipped cream or ice cream.
Enjoy!
*******
I know there have been issues about cross contamination with Tostitos =
chips but you really can use any gf corn chips you like and it still =
tastes great.    As for the amount of chips, big bag or small....the =
regular size bag is good.  As for the amount of chicken broth I always =
use  a larger container but have used the small one too.  The more chix =
broth the more moist I have discovered the stuffing to be but don't =
totally overload the broth.   YES there should be some left after the =
chips soak it up, just put it all in the pan as the heat in the oven =
will evaporate it.
This is really great stuffing!  My family and friends look forward to it =
year after year and it always get eaten up with no leftovers!  This year =
I will make more to make all those leftover freaks happy!
It tastes just like StoveTop (if you like that!)
1 bag Tostitos
1 can gf chicken broth
minced celery/onions (your personal preference)
Poultry seasoning to taste ( I use alot)
(I've even added other ingredients over the years, whatever you would =
normally put in your stuffing)
The recipe calls for Bells Poultry seasoning but I was never able to =
find it so I used Spice Hunter salt free poultry seasoning. Soak chips =
in chicken
broth, (15-30 minutes is all)  mix in other ingredients and bake for 30 =
minutes at 350 degrees.
*****