From:
Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:29:48 -0500

Does anybody know if allergy drops are contraindicated for celiacs?  I
don't really mean because of intestinal damage - by now, 1&1/2 years
gluten free, my intestines are probably ok.  But more that i have an
immune system that does create these food intolerances, which are
psychological in nature - and you get food intolerances if you eat the
same thing every day.  Which is what you do with allergy drops, just keep
on taking them several times a day.

I like the idea of allergy drops.  I've read that it's part of the normal
process of limiting inhalant allergies, that some of the inhalant
allergens get into your GI tract, that somehow helps to reduce IgE
reactions.  So it sounds like allergy drops are just encouraging this
normal process.

But i had a lot of terrible psychological reactions to foods, severe
anxiety.  If I developed a similar intolerance to substances in the
allergy drops, I'm worried I might start having those psychological
reactions and not know it was from the allergy drops, because I would just
be taking them every day.  One takes allergy drops for years, just like
allergy shots.

Allergy drops are pretty attractive, they are gentler than allergy shots.
I tried allergy shots and I just got so sick from them.  I spent literally
about *5 months solid* being sick last summer - yes really, last summer
was sacrificed to my inhalant allergies.  In spite of all sorts of
medication.

I'm not necessarily asking about allergy drops for food intolerance.  They
do give allergy drops with foods if you have a skin reaction to the food.
I mean about IgE allergies - mostly inhalant allergies for me.

I wrote a letter to the doctor who would give the drops, asking about
this, but i would like to know if any of you know about this.

Laura