From:
Jonathan Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 06:53:16 -0400

Wow, in 24 hours I received 33 replies.  Thank you for your help!
My originial question asked about the foods listed below and whether they were
o.k. or not.

> >Bacon (pre-cooked Oscar Mayer)
> >"Armour" Sausage (pre-cooked)
> >"Giant" brand orange sherbert
> >Oscar Mayer or Ballpart hot-dogs w/ Heinz Ketchup (no bun of course)
> >Breakstone cottage cheese
> >Ragu Double Cheddar Sauce
> >Kraft Singles
> >"I.M. Healthy" Soy peanut butter
> >Betty Crocker potato buds
> >Hormel Turkey pepperoni
> >Sargento shredded cheese
> >"Giant" brand  shredded Mozzeralla cheese
> >Hanover red kidney beans
> >Ortega taco seasoning and shells
> >Oreida shoestrings (french-fries)
> >McCain Smiles=09(french-fries)
> >Ian's Alphatots  (french-fries)
> >Kraft 3 cheese ranch dressing
> >Delimex Chicken Tequitas
> >"Giant" brand canned vegetables (not in a sauce)
> >Yoplait Yogurt
> >Sun-Maid Raisins (yogurt covered too)
> >Welch's fruit snacks
> >Kellogg's Fruit snacks
> >Dole fruit cups
> >"Giant" brand applesausce
> >Act II popcorn
> >Utz potato chips, cheese balls and tortilla chips
> >"Festingos" (Giant brand) plain tortilla chips
> >Snyders of Hanover Veggie Crisps
> >Plain M&M's
> >Velveeta cheese
> >Bush's Original baked beans
> >Edy's Ice Cream (vanilla and chocolate chip)
> >Redi-whip topping
> >Cool Whip topping
> >"Giant" brand ice cream (orange sherbert and vanilla)
> >Dole strawberry popsicles
> >Popsicle brand "Push-Ups"
> >Jell-o brand pudding pops
> >Jell-o Instant pudding
> >Jell-o Gelatin
> >Hunts pudding snacks
> >Tostitos Salsa con queso
> >Duncan Hines Homestyle Icing
> >Rumsford Baking Powder
> >Bertolli Olive Oil
> >Hormel Beans and Weiners (microwavable)=09
> >Hunts tomato sauce (plain)
> >Classico tomato sauce
> >Don Pepino pizza sauce
> >Envirokidz Koala Crisp and Gorilla Munch cereal

Many people asked about cross-contamination in the kitchen and other sources
of contamination.    My daughter is 2 years old and I'm a stay at home Mom.
I have total control over her diet.  She does not share foods with other
children, she is our only child.  No playdough in the house.  The rest of the
extended family is totally on board with the GF diet and most of them are too
afraid to give her anything to eat.  I pack her lunch in a lunch box when she
visits her grandparents for the day and nothing else outside that box is fed
to her.  We bought all new appliances (breadmaker, toaster, kitchenaid,
wooden spoons, colander for pasta) when she was diagnosed and they are never
used for gluten containing products.  No communion, again she is 2.  Her
vitamins, toothpaste, lotions and shampoo are all apparently gf.  We do not
take her out to eat very often.   And when we do we again bring her boxed
lunch to eat at the restaurant.   I am aware of how to read labels and key
words to look for.   I had called every single manufacturer on the list and
everyone said their product was gluten free.  I keep a huge binder at home of
all my written responses and telephone conversations.

So onto the list... Many people gave me great advice - "Simplify her diet and
eat more whole foods/ less processed foods".  After a long conversation with
a dietician yesterday, she and I completely agreed with that advice.
Many people also mentioned that there are possible contamination problems with
certain companies such as Kraft, Heinz and Hunts.
3 people asked if it could be another food intolerance or allergy such as
dairy, soy, canola oil.
5 people recommended getting rid of the processed meats such as bacon,
sausage, pepperoni and hotdogs.  They often have a gluten based filler.
2 people said they did not consider Act II popcorn GF and recommended Orville
Redenbacher instead.
3 people said not to use Heinz ketchup because of the "distilled vinegar" and
both recommended Del Monte or Muir Glen instead
Several people recommended not using any processed cheese sauces of salad
dressing.  2 people said "Annies Naturals" dressing is safe.
5 people said not to use Hunts tomato sauce and again use Muir Glen instead
1 person said to beware of french fries dusted with flour
1 person was not aware velveeta was gf
1 person said to double check on Bush's baked beans
3 people said to watch out fo shredded cheeses dusted with flour
1 person could not tolerate McCain French fries
1 person thought Betty Crocker Potato buds were not GF
Many people recommeded checking various websites such as:
Delphiforums
www.gfcgdiet.com
www. glutenfreeinfo.com/diet/glutenfreeinfo.htm
One person said that despite a GF diet it took her child one year for the TTG
levels to come down to normal and that her Dr. said as long as the numbers
were gradually coming down, she was doing o.k.  That made me feel a little
better.
Our child appears asymptomatic.  She has a ton of energy, she's putting on
weight, no diarrhea and never says her tummy hurts.  She seems SO much better
than she was 7 mos. ago.  It's just a matter of fine tuning her diet and
eliminating some more processed foods to get those levels down to normal.
Thank you again, we continue to welcome any feedback!  I hope I didn't miss
anything, I tried to summarize the best I could.
-Jon and Susie