From:
Diane Hosek <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane Hosek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:42:32 -0500

I posted a question several weeks ago basically asking whether the short stature from CD is always associated with being thin, or whether the person can be of normal weight.  I received 3 responses that were especially pertinent to our situation.  In 2 cases, children had short stature but were of normal weight.  They were diagnosed with CD and they caught up in growth on the GF diet.  In a third example, the blood tests were negative but the Mom put her child on the diet anyway and growth improved.

Two listmates suggested a bone age scan, which is a test I knew nothing about.  I received several other suggestions, such as to try the GF diet and see if it helps, to use Enterolab for testing, and to have genetic testing done.  One person suggested that my daughter's "gas" problem could be due to lactose intolerance, which I hadn't considered.

We have a doctor's appointment next week.  Thanks for all the helpful info.
I've copied in several very informative responses below.

--Diane

My daughter was 10 when she was dxd, the testing process began because of being short (below 10 %) but otherwise she looked very healthy.  No real symptoms except extreme hunger (later found to be as a result of the mal nutrition caused by cd) and they were really only checking because of the "short stature".  We have the same height  type issues--I am only 5'2"  and my husband is 6'4" so who knew how tall she should be!!  I would suggest you request a bone age scan for your daughter.  It is really simple, just a type of x-ray of their forearm and it lets you know if she is just short or has some delay in bone growth caused by something else(not just malnutrition like from cd)  In my daughters case there was a 26 month delay...after being gf for a couple of years the test was redone and her bones were back on target-that is to say that at age 12 she had the bones of a 12yo.  She is still small and since her bones are back on track we know that she will probably be very petite but at least a healthy petite and she did make up some growth.  The other problem with growth and girls is the onset of puberty, which slows growth substantially.
If this has not begun then you may want to pursue finding things out quickly
to have the maximum time to make-up growth if necessary.  I don't really
know how they can tell but it would certainly help you to know what if
anything might be wrong.
------
my daughter came back moderate on her
antigliadins twice before the third testing showed positive in
everything finally.
 ------
At the NIH conference, they said first degree relatives that are
borderline or have positive symptoms should be retested every 3
years. I asked the question to the panel myself, because I wanted an
answer from the experts.