From:
"Mary C. Burnett" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary C. Burnett
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:38:12 -0400

Thanks to those of you who replied to my initial e-mail. I guess we can just wash our hands after handling packing peanuts, generally treat them as "poison", and make sure not to let our kids play with / eat them.

I called VeriPack at 1-800-388-4344 and spoke with a sales person. She said she didn't know who their supplier was and wasn't too helpful. She said it was the height of their busy season, so I'm guessing she didn't want to chat gluten with me. Can't imagine why! (ha) Since VeriPack distributes these wheat-based packing peanuts, I asked her to make the people who decide where to buy their products from aware of the fact that roughly 1/133 people in the U.S. have celiac disease and that we'd prefer our biodegradable packing peanuts to be made out of corn starch or some other starch that is not wheat, barley, oat, or rye-based. From her attitude, I'm guessing that this went in one ear and out the other since she didn't seem to be taking notes on our conversation. Any way, I guess all we can do is to try to educate people who do shipping NOT to buy biodegradable peanuts that are wheat-based.