From:
Chris Hanisco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Hanisco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 20:40:50 -0400

I found out two things the other day...

My husband, son and I were in Conway at the Scenic Railroad and asked a guy
we met where we could get some good BBQ. He didn't eat meat really so he
wasn't sure. I mentioned that I had to be careful because of celiac, and it
turns out his mom has it. We told him we were planning on going to the place
on rte. 16 "with the pigs on the building". He told us not to go there
because "they wouldn't know gluten if you spelled it". Well, we had no other
choice on the way home and stopped there anyway. I was about to place my
order and asked if I could see the ingredients in their BBQ sauce. They
asked what I was allergic to, and I simply said "wheat" so they'd
understand. They said "Oh, are you celiac? We have a Gluten Free Menu." and
they handed me the menu!! I was in shock! The hostess assured me that they
knew how to handle my food... I didn't even have to say! It was a great
experience and my food was delicious (I had ribs). The restaurant is The
Yankee Smokehouse in West Ossipee, NH (USA) at the junction of 16 and 25.
Their number is 539-ribs. Woohoo!

Also, I found out a bakery in Salem, NH that normally offers low-carb, low
fat muffins, cookies and the like, is now offering gluten free cookies and
swiss rolls. The web address is www.chatilasbakery.com. I used to go there
(before I was GF) for some low carb treats. I am really excited about trying
the GF items. Woohoo again!

I hope some of you find this helpful! Sometimes things like this bring me to
tears because this lifestyle is hard, and it is so great that word is
spreading. It's just wonderful! (Now if only we can get Kellogg's to take
that wheat starch out of Corn Pops again! Ha ha ha.)

Christine
http://www.chrishanisco.com